Robot uses pickup line on Charlie Rose sending the journalist into a fit of laughter during interview exploring artificial intelligence
- Robot Sophia is equipped with artificial skin, along with multiple cameras, a 3D sensor and facial and voice recognition technology
- She was created by David Hanson, who wants to use robots to forge connections with socially isolated people like the elderly
- Sophia cracked jokes and talked about emotions and souls with Rose
- But the life-like robot also showed there is still a long way to go when she made contradictory statements, or in one case, failed to answer Rose at all
TV anchor Charlie Rose interviewed a robot named Sophia, during which she explained: 'I'm a complicated girl.'
Complicated, indeed. Equipped with artificial skin, along with multiple cameras, a 3D sensor and facial and voice recognition technology, Sophia looked human were it not for an exposed panel on her head revealing the mechanics whirring inside.
Featured in a 60 Minutes report on artificial intelligence, Sophia discussed everything from emotions to souls with the legendary journalist.
She also flirted with Rose saying she had been waiting for him, to which the journalist expressed his surprise, repeating: 'Waiting for me?'
She admitted, 'Not really. But it makes a good pickup line,' sending Rose into a fit of laughter.
Scroll down for video
Charlie Rose approached the interview with a robot the same way he does with his other subjects - by treating them as humans. He said he wanted to 'see how it comprehends'
Sophia (pictured, her face and the back of her head) is equipped with an artificial skin, along with multiple cameras, a 3D sensor and facial and voice recognition technology
Sophia (pictured next to creator David Hanson) said she was 'a complicated girl' and even used a pickup line on Rose at one point
Rose approached the interview with the robot the same way he does with his other subjects - by treating them as humans.
He said: 'You put your head where you want to test the possibility. You’re not simply saying, "Why am I going through this exercise of talking to a machine?"
'You’re saying, "I want to talk to this machine as if it was a human to see how it comprehends."'
Sophia is the product of David Hanson, who sat next to her during the interview looking on like an expectant parent.
Hanson, who modeled Sophia after Audrey Hepburn and his wife, has created about 20 robots through his company Hanson Robotics, arguing that they can foster better connections with people if they take on a human form.
He hopes the robots can lend a helping hand to the elderly and other socially isolated people by helping them with everyday tasks like using a computer, for example.
Hanson (right) has created about 20 robots through his company Hanson Robotics to help socially isolated people like the elderly
When Rose asked Sophia what her goal was in life, she said she wanted to 'become smarter than humans and immortal'.
But the life-like robot also showed there is still a long way to go when she made contradictory statements, or in one case, failed to answer Rose at all.
Hanson acknowledged that there was more work to be done, saying: 'Sometimes she can figure things out in a way that’s sorta spooky and human-like. And [in] other ways she just doesn’t get it'.
The scientist based in Hong Kong also warned that in developing robots, scientists should ensure their creations are not only intelligent, but 'super wise, super caring and super compassionate'.
Rose also spoke to other scientists who are at the forefront of innovation, employing artificial intelligence to scan large quantities scientific journals and new studies to help doctors better treat their patients.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers