'What will I do on Sunday nights now?' Fans mourn the end of Victoria as a dramatic finale sees the Queen give birth (but with eight more heirs to come, another series is on its way)
- Last night's episode saw Victoria give birth to her first child, Victoria
- Period drama has proved a ratings winner for ITV with the final episode pulling in 4.8million, just 100,000 shy of Poldark's viewing figures on BBC
- Fans say they'll be at a loss as to what to do on Sunday nights now
- Second series has been commissioned by the broadcaster for 2017
She has reigned over Sunday nights since the end of August, so it's no surprise that viewers of ITV's Victoria were last night mourning the final flourish of the hit series.
Fans of the lavish period drama, starring Jenna Coleman and Tom Hughes as Victoria and Albert, took to social media to express their sadness that the show - for now - was over.
A teaser for a second series - to air in 2017 - only served to prolong the agony of some of the drama's keener fans, who said 'they couldn't wait that long'.
Scroll down for video
Not amused...but definitely pulling in the viewers. The final episode of the Victoria series aired on ITV last night and left fans applauding the 'classy' show on Twitter
Last night's installment saw Victoria give birth to her first child, Victoria - but with eight more children to be born, surely there's more than just one follow-up series in the pipeline?
ITV bosses announced that they've commissioned a second series of Victoria
Our lives are empty! Viewers took to social media to express their sadness that the show - for now - is over
Last night's action-packed episode saw Victoria give birth to her first child, Victoria.
The show, up against an action-packed episode of Poldark, took a 25 per cent share of the audience and saw the number of viewers peak at six million. The average was 4.8 million viewers - its best overnight figures since the launch episode.
On Twitter, history fans poured out their grief that the show had finished, with many questioning how they'd fill the Victoria-shaped hole in their lives.
@KrystenSwin wrote: 'So sad that @ITV #Victoria has finished! It's been the best Sunday night viewing in a long time!'
@katymoss85 agreed, saying: 'What an episode of #Victoria @ITV you outdid yourself Sunday nights won't be the same. Bring on the next series.'
@suestubbins questioned: 'What to do now on a Sunday evening? #victoria can't wait for the 2nd series!'
@MadamKachuba said 'oh do hurry up #Sunday won't be the same!' after the teaser for the next series was shown.
@merry_musing was also impatient, writing: 'I don't want to have to wait until 2017 for season 2 of #Victoria.'
However, with eight more of the Queen's heirs set to be born on the small screen, one might wonder whether a third series or more might even be in ITV's plans.
Sunday's episode was packed with drama and saw Victoria actress Jenna Coleman deliver the has been praised for her emotional performance
Jenna Coleman, in the final part of Victoria (ITV), simply had to announce: ‘We are not amused.’ She was sitting up in bed with her stiff-necked husband, Albert, who was studying the gentleman’s periodical Punch and reading the jokes aloud
The episode saw the highest overnight rating since the launch episode, when the big-budget drama attracted 5.7 million viewers and 6.1 million at its peak.
Poldark was watched by 4.9 million viewers and took a 22 per cent audience share. ITV’s figures include catch-up on its plus one channel.
But historical drama has nothing on a half-decent foxtrot, it seems. On BBC1, Strictly Come Dancing’s results show - broadcast from 7.15pm to 8pm - had a peak audience of 9.7 million, and averaged nine million with a 41.1% audience share, making it the best results for a Sunday this series so far.
The X Factor, which went out at 8pm on ITV, was seen by 6.5 million viewers and a 28% share, with a peak of 7.5 million viewers, making it the broadcaster’s most watched programme of the night.
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers