Steve Bruce says managing Aston Villa would be 'terrific job' and is 'hoping to hear something this week'
- Steve Bruce is one of the leading contenders to take over at Aston Villa
- Bruce has held talks with Villa about taking over from Roberto Di Matteo
- Current caretaker boss Steve Clarke is also in the frame for the position
- Bruce revealed that he spoke with Villa and is 'hoping to hear something'
Steve Bruce has described taking charge of Aston Villa as a 'terrific job' as he prepares to be formally interviewed for the post on Monday.
The former Birmingham City manager is ready to cross the city divide having held productive talks with Villa chief executive Kieth Wyness.
Villa believe Bruce can galvanise one of the most expensively assembled squad's in Championship history and do not consider his background at their fierce rivals an issue.
Steve Bruce has declared his interest in filling the vacant managerial position at Aston Villa
Bruce, who left Hull in the summer, said managing Championship Villa would be 'a terrific job'
The former Sunderland boss has held talks with the Midlands outfit about the vacant position
Only a late change of heart would stop the 55-year-old being appointed with technical director Steve Round to officially make the recommendation to owner Tony Xia this week.
Caretaker manager Steve Clarke, on Villa's shortlist of two last Friday, may be kept on in the backroom team.
'I've had a chat with them. That's as far as it's gone,' Bruce told Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday programme. 'They did say they're in a process, which you have to respect. I'm hoping that I hear something this week. It would be a terrific job.
'I'm sure everybody would agree that it's one of the big clubs of this country. It needs a little bit of turning round at the moment, but they've got a huge support and it's a big, big club. Let's hope I hear something.'
Aston Villa are currently on the hunt for a new manager after sacking Roberto Di Matteo
The former Wigan and Sunderland boss spent six years as manager at Birmingham City
Most watched Sport videos
- Arturo Vidal scores impossible goal during training
- Bradford goalkeeper Colin Doyle substituted after three minutes
- Sky Sports viewer captures moment Klopp told off for swearing
- 'New Messi?': Celtic youth's 12 year old Karamoko Dembele
- Karamoko Dembele in action at the St Kevin's Boys Academy Cup 2016
- Arturo Vidal scores a brace for Chile during Copa America
- Jesse Lingard welcomes Paul Pogba to Manchester United
- Pep Guardiola speaks post match after Man City Spurs loss
- Pep Guardiola says Toure won't play until agent apologises
- Where's Spurs? Klopp has a map of the English clubs in his office
- Hilarious moment Jesse Lingard nearly breaks golf club
- Clashes erupt among fans after West Ham clash with Middlesbrough