'I don't want to crush anyone's soul': The X Factor judge Iggy Azalea says her difficult experience with fame makes it harder to be 'mean' to young contestants on the show
The X Factor Australia's Iggy Azalea has claimed her 'soul crushing' rise to fame has made her kinder to the TV show's contestants.
The 26-year-old rapper has been criticised for her harsh approach, but tells The Daily Telegraph that Adam Lambert is the tougher judge.
Iggy even admitted she feels a duty to protect the young contestants from the stress and pressure of the music industry.
'It's pretty soul crushing': The X Factor Australia's Iggy Azalea has claimed her 'soul crushing' rise to fame has made her kinder to the TV show's contestants
'It's pretty soul crushing… I just wish I could protect them all. Some their stories are so heartbreaking and you're like, "Oh, my god is this going to go on TV and live with you forever,"' she said.
Iggy - who grew up in Mullumbimby, NSW before moving to the US as a teenager - said the contestants need to have thick skin, but she still finds it hard to be 'mean' to them.
'I don't need to make this any worse than it's already going to be. I've tried to be nice, but truthful, because if you can be truthful but have compassion the message might actually be listened to.
'I've discovered it's really hard to be mean to people. I have been honest, but I don't want to crush anyone's soul.'
'I don't need to make this any worse than it's already going to be': Iggy revealed that she finds it 'hard to be mean to people' because of her own experiences in the spotlight
Despite her honest feedback, Iggy has been booed by audience members and faced criticism for her judging skills.
In response to being labelled the 'mean judge,' Iggy told DailyMail.com: 'Adam's the mean one. It is hard.
'I try to be as nice as I can, but I also try to be as constructive in my criticism as I can.
'I try to be nice as I can': Iggy has been called the 'tough' judge on The X Factor
'I never want to be mean for the sake of having a laugh at someone else's expense, because I've been in that position and I am in that position all the time.'
Iggy joined the TV talent show's judging panel alongside Adam Lambert and Guy Sebastian earlier this year.
The X Factor Australia airs Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 7.30pm on Channel Seven
New recruits: Iggy joined the TV talent show's judging panel alongside Adam Lambert (L) and Guy Sebastian (R) earlier this year
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers