Michael Jackson's still in the money! The late King Of Pop tops Forbes list of highest-paid dead celebrities with $825 million
- Sale of singer's remaining half share of Beatles music catalogue to Sony earned him $750 million
- Runner-up on the Forbes list is Peanuts creator Charles Schulz with $48 million
- David Bowie, Prince and Arnold Palmer who all passed away in 2016 also made the cut
He passed away seven years ago but Michael Jackson is still making money - and lots of it.
In 2016 the late King Of Pop earned a staggering $825 million, making him far and away the biggest dead celebrity earner of the year.
A long way back in second place in the Forbes list released on Wednesday is Peanuts creator Charles Schulz who earned $48 million. He died in 2009.
Top earner: Michael Jackson, who died in 2009, is the highest-paid dead celebrity, according to Forbes. The King Of Pop, pictured in 1993, tops the list with $825 million in income this year
Forbes explained that one reason Jackson has generated so much revenue is his estate's decision to sell his half-share of the Beatles catalogue to Sony for $750 million.
The Thriller star had purchased the rights to the Fab Four's music back in 1984 for $47.5 million and then sold 50 percent of it to Sony in 1995 for $115 million.
His remaining share was sold to Sony in March this year.
Number two: Peanuts creator Charles Schulz, pictured with Snoopy in 1987, is second on the Forbes list with $48 million. The author and cartoonist died in 2000
Number three: Golfing legend Arnold Palmer, pictured in 2014, was paid $40 million in 2016. He passed away age 87 on September 25
Schulz continues to rake in millions 16 years after his death mostly as a result of licensing revenue.
Forbes reported that the cartoonist's earnings were boosted by the release of the 3-D Peanuts movie last year.
Golfer Arnold Palmer died on September 25 at the age of 87 and as a result is included in the list at number three, although obviously most of his $40 million in earnings were made while he was still alive.
Four, five and six: Elvis Presley continued to rake in $27 million, followed by Prince, who died in April, with $25 million and Bob Marley with $21 million
Number seven: Theodor 'Dr. Seuss' Geisel earned $20 million in 2016, 25 years after his death. The beloved author is pictured in 1957
Eight and nine: Beatle John Lennon, who was murdered 26 years ago, made $12 million this year while physicist Albert Einstein, who passed away in 1955, earned $11.5 million
Elvis Presley, who died aged 42 in 1977, is ranked number four with $27 million, while Prince who passed away in April is listed at number five with $25 million.
Twenty-five years after his death, Bob Marley's estate reeled in $21 million.
Dr Seuss - AKA Theodor Geisel - continues to be a money-spinner, making the list at number seven with $20 million.
Beatles songwriter John Lennon, who was murdered in 1980 age 40, made $12 million in 2016.
Listed at number nine is Albert Einstein, who died in 1955, with $11.5 million followed by original pin-up Bettie Page at number 10 with $11 million.
Number 10: Original pin-up girl Bettie Page, pictured circa 1955, earned $11 million this year
Numbers 11 and 12: David Bowie, who died in April, earned $10.5 million, while Hollywood hellraiser and movie star Steve McQueen, who was 59 when he di d in 1980, earned $9 million
The late David Bowie, who was 69 when he died from cancer in January, earned $10.5 million.
Hollywood hellraiser Steve McQueen earned $9 million. The Great Escape star died in 1980 at age 50.
Rounding out the Forbes list is Elizabeth Taylor, who died five years ago, at number 13 with $8 million.
Number 13: Elizabeth Taylor rounds out the Forbes list of highest-paid dead celebrities with income of $8 million in 2016. She's pictured in her heyday in 1955
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers