Hugging it out! Michelle Obama and Meryl Streep embrace at White House screening of their film We Will Rise
They toured Liberia and Morocco together this summer talking to girls who struggle to get an education.
And on Tuesday, Meryl Streep was by First Lady Michelle Obama's side at a screening of new CNN documentary We Will Rise: Michelle Obama's Mission To Educate Girls Around The World.
The event, co-hosted by the U.S. Department Of State's Office Of Global Women's Issues, took place at the White House in Washington D.C.
Embracing on stage: Meryl Streep and First Lady Michelle Obama hugged at a White House screening of their new CNN documentary We Will Rise: Michelle Obama's Mission To Educate Girls Around The World on Tuesday
And, appropriately, it marked the International Day Of The Girl.
Michelle, 52, and the 67-year-old actress hugged on stage during the event.
The First Lady looked chic in a black dress with a white flower motif.
Up close and personal: The friends toured Liberia and Morocco together this summer talking to girls who struggle to get an education for the First Lady's Let Girls Learn initiative
Money pouring in: Michelle, 52, and 67-year-old actress chatted on stage about the cause that has raised billions for education around the world
The Suffragette star was more colourfully dressed in a pink smock-style blouse worn over black trousers.
Meryl also hung out with singer Andra Day, 32, whose single, Rise Up, is the film's theme song.
The pair were joined by Freida Pinto on their fact-finding trip to Africa but the actress didn't appear to be at the screening.
Speaking from the heart: Meryl spoke at the event, which also celebrated the International Day Of The Girl on Tuesday
Showing her gratitude: Meryl also appeared to kiss the hand of singer Andra Day, 32, whose single, Rise Up, is the film's theme song
In a statement she gave to CNN, Michelle revealed that her decision to work on girls' education globally as First Lady moved her to launch her Let Girls Learn initiative last year.
She revealed it has already raised billions around the world,
Directed by Tony Gerber, the hour-long documentary will premiere in the US on CNN on Wednesday at 9 pm ET.
It debuted internationally in Asia, Europe and Africa on Tuesday.
Showing their support: The pair, who sat together at the event, clapped enthusiastically
So chic: Meryl looked elegant in a heavily embroidered white jacket that she wore over a pink smock-style blouse and black trousers
Most watched News videos
- CCTV captures final tragic moments of Mirna Salihin's life
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: 'Ghost' rises from body after fatal crash
- Bulls head butt each other then die instantly from brutal blow
- Shocking moment girl gets viciously beaten after starting fight
- Mother releases devastating footage of son's final moments
- Lorry smashes into car leaving driver with severe injuries
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- 'Big fat gypsy wedding' in Romania goes on for FOUR days
- Groom ALREADY tired of marriage life just after 15 minutes
- 'Pascal's a G!' Kim Kardashian speaks well of her bodyguard
- GoPro captures the moment a croc swims amongst swimmers