Sarah Ferguson 'laughs off rumours' of her daughter Princess Eugenie's engagement to long-term boyfriend when she's quizzed at a gala dinner
- Rumours have been swirling that Jack Brooksbank popped the question
- Came after Eugenie took him to Balmoral to see the Queen
- Duchess of York said 'no' when asked if the rumours were true
Rumours were swirling that Princess Eugenie was set to be the next royal bride but her mother has quashed the hearsay.
When asked by PEOPLE if there was any truth to the rumours that Jack Brooksbank had popped the question, the Duchess of York said: 'No,' and 'laughed and shook her head', according to the magazine.
The flame-haired mother-of-two was speaking at the Alzheimer’s Association Rita Hayworth Gala on Tuesday night.
Sarah Ferguson, centre, reportedly said 'no' when asked if rumours of her daughter Princess Eugenie's, right, engagement to long-term boyfriend Jack Brooksbank, left, were true when she was quizzed at a gala dinner
MailOnline has contacted a spokesperson for the Duchess of York and is awaiting response.
The rumour mill went into overdrive after Eugenie, 26, took nightclub manager Mr Brooksbank, 29, to Balmoral to meet her grandmother.
It was rumoured that while there, he may have asked the Queen for her blessing for a forthcoming engagement.
It came after the daughter of the Duke and Duchess of York and her partner joined other members of the Royal family at the Highland retreat for a shooting party to celebrate Prince Harry's birthday.
The rumours surfaced after Eugenie, 26, took nightclub manager Mr Brooksbank, 29, to Balmoral to meet her grandmother (the pair are pictured together at the opening night of 'Conservation Couture: The Animal Ball Collection' in aid of Elephant Family and supported by Swarovski at The V&A on Tuesday)
The pair are said to be 'very serious' about their relationship - and Brooksbank has become close to the Duke and Duchess of York
One insider claimed that the trip would be a 'rite of passage' for Mr Brooksbank.
And while no official announcement has been made, the couple are reportedly planning to become officially engaged by the end of this year with a view to marrying in 2017.
It was reported that the pair are set to live in Kensington Palace, which also serves as the official royal base of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
The pair are said to be 'very serious' about their relationship - and Brooksbank has become close to the Duke and Duchess of York.
The flame-haired royal was speaking at the Alzheimer’s Association Rita Hayworth Gala on Tuesday night
Eugenie and Jack have been together since they were introduced in Switzerland in 2010.
A family friend said in August: 'Jack is very close to Eugenie’s family. He is always invited away with them in the summer.
‘Sarah sees him as a son-in-law already. She and Andrew adore Jack. He is a lovely boy and he has really fitted into the family.’
However, a spokesman for Sarah, Duchess of York, at the time categorically denied the claim her daughter was about to get engaged.
He said: 'This story is absolutely not true.'
Most watched News videos
- Teacher punched during brutal classroom fight caught on camera
- Woman nicknamed Poison Ivy sexually humiliates men online
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- EXCLUSIVE: Shocking moment Kumbuka attempts to smash glass
- Four dead after a horror accident on a ride at Dreamworld
- Donald Trump's weird favourite thing he has in common with Ivanka
- Passenger streams car crash he's involved in LIVE on Periscope
- Conveyor belt at the end of Dreamworld's Thunder River Rapids
- It's not a game anymore: Sherlock season 4 coming soon
- Couple 'who snorted heroin' filmed unconscious on Memphis pavement
- Powerful earthquake strikes Italy causing huge distruction
- Police forced to stop fight between West Ham and Chelsea fans