Not afraid to show her stretch marks! Supermodel Robyn Lawley shares the stories behind the lines on her body in empowering Instagram post
- Robyn Lawley shared a photo online of stretch marks on her stomach
- The mother-of-one said she was empowered, not ashamed, of the marks
- She said the lines represent the changes her body has gone through
- They include growing hips as a teen and being pregnant with her daughter
You would be hard-pressed to find a model more passionate about positive body image than Robyn Lawley.
The Australian-born supermodel, who was recently announced as a beauty and wellness ambassador for Westfield, fought to make it an in industry where 'skinny was in'.
But rather than try and conform to industry standards, the mother-of-one embraced her natural size and recently took to Instagram to share a photo of stretch marks on her stomach.
Scroll down for video
Empowering post: Supermodel Robyn Lawley shared a photo to Instagram of the lines on her stomach
Body positive: She shared the story behind each mark and said she is empowered, not ashamed, by the lines
'Each line holds a story of growth and change that my body has gone through,' she wrote.
'Once when I was a teen and grew hips suddenly, and of course when I grew most of my height, they are etched all over my body.
'The other in fact are way more important, they taught me to re-love my body and they grew when my baby daughter did inside of me [sic].
'These are not lines I should be ashamed of these are lines I should be empowered by.'
Sign of love: She said some of the lines appeared when she was pregnant with her daughter Ripley, pictured
Inspiring: 'These are not lines I should be ashamed of these are lines I should be empowered by,' she wrote
She finished the post with a series of hashtags and said the photo had 'no retouching'.
Her post was met with praise from her followers, including pregnant mothers.
'I'm pregnant for the first time and am getting stretch marks in all kinds of weird places, and I thought of you and the beautiful post you shared awhile back about your tiger mama stripes!! I love it. Thanks for sharing,' one woman wrote.
Another said while she once tried to hide or reduce her stretch marks, she is now proud of them.
Role model: Her post was met with praise from her followers, including pregnant women and other mothers
'You are an inspiration @robynlawley and a voice for all of us women who are made to feel ashamed for any small flaw our bodies have,' one woman wrote.
'We are not airbrushed in real life. And we shouldn't feel bad about our scars, stretch marks or other things that are a part of us. Thank you for what you do.'
The inspiring post came after Robyn visited Australia through her role as an ambassador for Westfield.
In an interview with Daily Mail Australia she said she initially found it hard to crack the industry at a time when 'skinny was in'.
'I felt like there were two or three token… curvy models at the time and that was it,' she said.
Leading the way: The post came after Robyn visited Australia through her role as the beauty and wellness ambassador for Westfield
‘There’s so much beauty in all kinds of sizes': Robyn said she found success in the industry after embracing her natural size
‘I went back and travelled for a year and backpacked and lived a life and then I started modelling at my natural size.
‘But it sucked you know, I still hated my body for a while afterwards because I held it accountable for not working.
‘When I started working again I was like okay, maybe I can work at this size, and I haven’t looked back.
‘There’s so much beauty in all kinds of sizes.’
Most watched News videos
- Newsagent risks his life to help boy chased by knife-wielding maniac
- Teacher punched during brutal classroom fight caught on camera
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Moment furious motorist pulls out HAND GUN during road rage
- Shocking moment Kumbuka tries to smash glass at London Zoo
- 'NO CHRIS!' moment Chris Hansen recognized by sexual predator
- Adorable twin sisters tell dad off in hilarious hunger rant
- Heart-stopping footage captures attempt to avoid horror crash
- Naughty father films nursery teacher's bottom instead of his own child
- Terrifying moment tiger drags trainer and won't let go
- Passenger streams car crash he's involved in LIVE on Periscope
- Doctor pulls out wriggling live MAGGOT from boy's ear