'My life flashed before my eyes': Taylor Hicks reveals he is lucky to be alive after midair emergency on private jet
Taylor Hicks said his life flashed before his eyes after surviving a midair emergency on Wednesday.
The 40-year-old singer was flying aboard a private plane when one of its two propeller engines blew en route to Alabama, according to an article by TMZ.
The former American Idol winner said he woke up in the co-pilot chair of the twin-engine aircraft to a 'muttering sound' and knew the pilot was about to descend.
Airplane emergency: Taylor Hicks, shown last week in New York City, said his life flashed before his eyes on Wednesday during a midair emergency aboard a private plane
'As soon as we descended to about 7,000 feet, two of the pistons blew and oil went everywhere and the engine stopped,' Taylor said afterward.
'And the blade on the rotor blade just stopped in mid-air,' he added.
The season five winner said he felt helpless.
'I just felt like my life and all of our lives flashed before our eyes a little bit,' Taylor said.
The champ: The singer is shown performing during season five of American Idol
'And we were very thankful and very blessed that we had a wonderful, graceful amazing pilot who was able to handle this situation,' he said.
Taylor said the gravity of the situation hit home after the pilot notified air traffic control of the situation and they asked 'how many souls we had on board.'
'I realized very quickly that this was very serious,' Taylor said.
On the road: Taylor is shown performing in May 2011 in New York City
The singer was in Memphis on Wednesday morning for an appearance on Local Memphis Live.
He performed Country Living on the show and will be perfoming in Memphis on Saturday at the Halloran Centre.
The Birminghan, Alabama native owns a barbecue and blues bar in his hometown and recently started hosting a new television series State Plate.
The food and travel show premiered on Friday on the INSP network and features Taylor visiting a specific state and trying out representative foods.
Triumphant return: LaToya London is shown performing with Taylor in Los Angeles in April as part of the American Idol finale
Most watched News videos
- Newsagent risks his life to help boy chased by knife-wielding maniac
- Teacher punched during brutal classroom fight caught on camera
- Moment furious motorist pulls out HAND GUN during road rage
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Adorable twin sisters tell dad off in hilarious hunger rant
- Shocking moment Kumbuka tries to smash glass at London Zoo
- 'NO CHRIS!' moment Chris Hansen recognized by sexual predator
- Heart-stopping footage captures attempt to avoid horror crash
- Naughty father films nursery teacher's bottom instead of his own child
- Doctor pulls out wriggling live MAGGOT from boy's ear
- Terrifying moment tiger drags trainer and won't let go
- Shocking moment evil cat makes toddler trip with furry paw