Broadway producer of Hairspray and The Producers Rick Steiner dies age 69 in Connecticut
Broadway producer Rick Steiner has died.
Steiner passed away at his home in Connecticut on Thursday, Deadline.com reported. He was 69.
Among his hits were The Producers, Hairspray, Jersey Boys and Big River.
R.I.P.: Broadway producer Rick Steiner passed away Thursday at his home in Connecticut. He was 69
Showman: Steiner was a prolific producer of Broadway shows starting with Big River in 1985. Among his hits was The Producers starring Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, pictured
Born in Cincinnati, Steiner earned degrees at the University of Wisconsin and University of Chicago Booth School of Business before heading to Boston where he opened an experimental comedy video club with the then-unknown Chvey Chase.
He moved on to New York where he found himself co-producing a musical based on The Tales Of Hucklberry Finn.
Initially a disastrous money loser, he managed to turn around the fortunes of the show called Big River thanks to an innovative marketing campaign. It went on to win seven Tony awards in 1985.
Steiner was also an accomplished poker playing winning several major tournaments including, according to Cincinnati.com, the 1992 World Series of Poker 7-Stud High-Low event and the 1995 Legends of Poker Seven Card Stud tournament.
His brother Corky Steiner said his brother's 'last love other than family is baseball' and he had had a seat on the board of the Cincinnati Reds.
Steiner’s funeral will be held Sunday in Cincinnati.
Multi-talented: He was an avid baseball fan and wa son the board of the Cincinnati reds. He was also an accomplished poker player and won several major tournaments during his life
Most watched News videos
- 'You should be my biggest fan' Gina Miller tells Farage
- Donald Trump dramatically rushed off stage by secret service
- Female student loses it and beats student over RINGTONE
- Paw-somely cute moment Belle the dog gives kisses to baby boy
- 'My dad OWNS your a***': School teacher hurls abuse at doorman
- Alec Baldwin's Trump kisses the FBI, Putin and the KKK on SNL
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Woman kicks man to the floor after he gropes her in supermarket
- 'You should be ashamed of yourself': Leanne Wood to Farage
- Dog gets a big surprise when he eats a rather sour sweet
- Shocking moment lorry driver using his mobile kills family
- The paw that rocks the cradle: Dog gently soothes baby