London is crowned the selfie capital of the world - but the Colosseum is the most popular backdrop landmark for self portraits
London is often cited as one of the most attractive tourist locations worldwide, but now the capital of England has gained a new status: the selfie capital of the world.
More than 14 per cent of selfies shared on social networks were found to be captured in the capital, with the Big Ben, the London Eye, and Buckingham Palace the most popular selfie spots in the city, according to website Suggestme.
But when it comes to individual landmarks, the Colosseum in Rome was the most fashionable backdrop for selfies, followed by the Eiffel Tower in Paris, analysis of 6.3million social media messages from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and elsewhere has revealed.
Smile! The Big Ben in London is the most popular backdrop for selfies in the capital
Charming: The London Eye was the second most irresistible location where to take a self portrait in the capital
Selfie with a view: The Colossuem in Rome is the most popular individual landmark for selfies in the world
New York and Amsterdam were in second and third place, with Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, the Rijksmuseum, and the Van Gogh Museum being the places in those cities where the most self portrait pictures were taken, the website said.
Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Sydney, Istanbul, and Athens complete the top 10.
TOP 10 CITIES FOR SELFIES
1. London (14,05%)
2. New York (11,62%)
3. Amsterdam (9,82%)
4. Barcelona (9,35%)
5. Paris (9,82%)
6. Berlin (7,15%)
7. Rome (6,60%)
8. Istanbul (4,98%)
9. Sydney (4,26%)
10. Athens (4,25%)
TOP 10 PLACES FOR SELFIES
2. Eiffel Tower, Paris
3. Big Ben, London
4. London Eye, London
5. Times Square, New York
6. Buckingham Palace, London
7. Statue of Liberty, New York
8. Empire State Building, New York
9. Tower Bridge, London
10. Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
Selfie capitals: New York comes after London, with Times Square the most popular spot for self portraits in the city
Share it: Popular spots for selfies in Paris were the Louvre museum and the Eiffel Tower
Most watched News videos
- Dramatic scenes as group of snakes pursue fleeing Iguana
- Funnel web spider all wrapped up after encounter with redback
- Horrific moment child gets crushed underneath falling door
- Snakes on a plane! Snake appears during Aeromexico flight
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Man creates cosy home made entirely from shipping containers
- Moment furious van driver vents at group of motorcyclists
- Paw-somely cute moment Belle the dog gives kisses to baby boy
- Horrifying moment white 'landowner' stuffs black man in coffin
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- Dramatic footage shows police car pursue fleeing drug dealer
- Police release footage of Craigslist murderer preparing home
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.