'I was supposed to be disabled by now': Michael J. Fox talks about dealing with Parkinson's Disease for 25 years
He was diagnosed with the degenerative disorder of the nervous system that renders sufferers increasingly more shaky back in 1991.
But Michael J. Fox hasn't allowed Parkinson's Disease to stop him - despite a doctor who told him he had '10 years of work left' back when he was just 29.
The 55-year-old talked about how he personally copes with the progressive illness in a cover interview with Haute Living's November/December issue, released on Monday.
Fighting back: Michael J. Fox told Haute Living magazine that he hasn't allowed Parkinson's Disease to stop him - despite a doctor telling him he had '10 years of work left' when he was 29
Michael revealed he was working on Doc Hollywood when he found out about his diagnosis in 1991.
The father-of-four waited seven years to divulge the news to fans and admits that during that time he was in denial.
But when he did come clean, Michael said: 'I realized it was a real awakening to me because I had been kind of keeping this secret. I was supposed to be pretty much disabled by now. I’m far from it.'
As well as his highly successful film and TV career, he devotes a lot of time to his Michael J. Fox Foundation, which he set up in 2000.
Casual elegance: The 55-year-old wore a brown double-breasted herringbone coat by Freemans Sporting Club over a Prada brown wool suit and a wool and cashmere sweater by Theory for the cover shoot
It has donated $650 million for research in the last 16 years, with 89 cents of every dollar going to the goal of eliminating Parkinson’s.
It's 'in business to go out of business,' Michael said.
Meanwhile, he has discovered a new medication that works really well for his constant tremor: meditation.
Keeping it hidden: Michael revealed he waited seven years to divulge his diagnosis to fans
'The only way I don’t move, in even the subtlest ways, is when I’m sleeping,' Michael said, adding that brain activity calms right down to the point where he's not moving.
'I’m the same way when I do meditation. If I do it sincerely, then my brain slows down enough that my body gets still.'
Michael looked elegant for the cover shoot in a chocolate wool suit by Prada, a camel wool and cashmere sweater by Theory, a brown double-breasted herringbone coat by Freemans Sporting Club and black patent leather shoes.
He has been married to actress Tracy Pollan since 1988, and they share four children: 27-year-old Sam, twins Aquinnah and Frances, 21, and Esmé who turned 15 on November 3.
Stuck in traffic: The star was working on Doc Hollywood in 1991 when he learned of his life-changing condition
Most watched News videos
- Dramatic scenes as group of snakes pursue fleeing Iguana
- Funnel web spider all wrapped up after encounter with redback
- Horrific moment child gets crushed underneath falling door
- Snakes on a plane! Snake appears during Aeromexico flight
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Man creates cosy home made entirely from shipping containers
- Moment furious van driver vents at group of motorcyclists
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- Paw-somely cute moment Belle the dog gives kisses to baby boy
- Horrifying moment white 'landowner' stuffs black man in coffin
- Dramatic footage shows police car pursue fleeing drug dealer
- Police release footage of Craigslist murderer preparing home