Shakira cites 'personal reasons' as she abruptly CANCELS AMA and Latin Grammy performances
Shakira is taking a time-out.
The sexy South American songstress, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, told fans on Monday she's bowing out of two upcoming award show outings later to tend to issues in her private life.
'Due to personal matters, I won’t be able to travel to Las Vegas & LA to attend the @LatinGRAMMYS or the @AMAs this year,' the 39-year-old beauty wrote Monday on Twitter, also tweeting the same message in Spanish.
Scroll down for video
Bombshell: Singer Shakira, 39, surprisingly withdrew from two upcoming award shows later this month
Big announcement: The star revealed she'd be unable to attend via her Twitter page
Both of the events are slated for later this month, with the 17th Annual Latin GRAMMY Awards on November 17 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas; while the 44th Annual American Music Awards will take place three days later in Los Angeles at the Microsoft Theater.
The Whenever, Wherever artist also made clear she's standing squarely behind Carlos Vives, the 55-year-old singer she teamed up for on the smash single La Bicicleta, which is nominated at the Latin Grammys for both Song of the Year and Record of the Year.
'I will be accompanying @carlosvives in spirit @LatinGRAMMYs, celebrating this incredible year that we’ve shared together with,' said the Colombian singer, adding the hashtag, '#LaBicicleta.'
Unexpected: The singer's withdrawal from the show comes as a suprise as she looked better than ever and in great spirits in a recent social media post
The withdrawal comes as something of a surprise, as late last month the singer was in great spirits with as she used an innovative way to announce the release of a new single called Chantaje, a collaborative effort with Maluma.
The Voice beauty used a series of subtle clues - a reference to magic, a crown and a word and picture game featuring singer Alejandro Sanz - in a trio of Instagram posts teasing the upcoming joint effort.
She later explained to a fan how each clue related to the release of the single: 'Magic was the name of my first album ever and also Maluma's. The crown is Maluma's tattoo. And lastly, "Chan" is Alejandro Sanz's nickname, plus you add the "TA" and the G sound at the end.'
The Hips Don't Lie stunner who has two sons - three-year-old Milan and one-year-old Sasha - with her footballer beau Gerard Piqué.
Innovative: The music star recently informed her fans of an upcoming single via a series of clues she dropped on social media
Next up: The singer also shared the artwork for the highly-anticipated collaboration
Most watched News videos
- Dramatic scenes as group of snakes pursue fleeing Iguana
- Funnel web spider all wrapped up after encounter with redback
- Horrific moment child gets crushed underneath falling door
- Snakes on a plane! Snake appears during Aeromexico flight
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- Man creates cosy home made entirely from shipping containers
- Moment furious van driver vents at group of motorcyclists
- Mother shaves daughters hair after she 'bullies cancer girl'
- Paw-somely cute moment Belle the dog gives kisses to baby boy
- Horrifying moment white 'landowner' stuffs black man in coffin
- Dramatic footage shows police car pursue fleeing drug dealer
- Police release footage of Craigslist murderer preparing home
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.