It's official: Pittsburgh is best place to live in U.S. (it even beats Honolulu)
- But no American cities make it into global top 25
It may not have won the Super Bowl - but Pittsburgh has something even bigger to celebrate.
The former steel city has just been voted the best place to live in the U.S.
The Pennsylvania powerhouse even beat Honolulu in the annual survey of 'most liveable cities' from the respected Economist Intelligence Unit.
Steel city: Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania was voted the best place to live in the U.S. Worldwide, the most liveable city was Vancouver in Canada
Exotic: Pittsburgh beat Honolulu in Hawaii, pictured, within the U.S. but only came in at 29th worldwide. The top ten was dominated by Australia and Canada
The survey ranks cities based on 30 factors such as healthcare, culture and environment, and education and personal safety.
TOP 10 U.S. CITIES
3. Washington DC
Worldwide, the Canadian city of Vancouver topped the list for the fifth time in a row, scoring 98 per cent overall - a figure unchanged from last year. It was followed by Melbourne in Australia and Vienna in Austria.
The rest of the top ten is dominated by other Canadian and Australian cities, with the exception of Finland's Helsinki, at number six, and New Zealand's Auckland, ranked at number ten.
Pittsburgh came in at number 29 across the globe. Los Angeles moved up
three places to 44th and New York held onto the 56th spot.
'Mid-sized cities in developed countries with relatively low population densities tend to score well by having all the cultural and infrastructural benefits on offer with fewer problems related to crime or congestion,' said Jon Copestake, the editor of the report.
New York, New York: So good they named it twice... but the Big Apple only made it into the number 56 spot in the global list. No U.S. cities made the top 25
Not so popular: Children collect water in Zimbabwe's capital, Harare, which came last in the Economist Intelligence Unit poll
Grey gloom: London came 53rd in the batting order. The poll ranks cities based on 30 factors such as healthcare, culture and personal safety
London, England, was 53rd, while Paris, France, was number 16.
The top city in Asia was Osaka, Japan, at number 12. It shared the position with Geneva and Switzerland and managed to beat the Japanese capital of Tokyo, which came in at 18th.
There was little change at the end of the scale, with the capital of Zimbabwe, Harare, once again claiming the worst position with a rating of 37.5 percent - narrowly beating the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka.
TOP TEN MOST LIVEABLE CITIES
1. Vancouver, Canada
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Vienna, Austria
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Calgary, Canada
6. Helsinki, Finland
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Perth, Australia
8. Adelaide, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand
BOTTOM TEN MOST LIVEABLE CITIES
1. Harare, Zimbabwe
2. Dhaka , Bangladesh
3. Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
4. Lagos, Nigeria
5. Algiers , Algeria
6. Karachi, Pakistan
7. Douala, Cameroon
8. Tehran, Iran
9. Dakar, Senegal
10. Colombo, Sri Lanka
Most watched News videos
- Obama and Trump sit down to discuss the transfer of power
- Emotional Chelsea Handler fights back tears over election results
- Two dogs brutally attack mother and child outside their home
- Three-month-old baby appears to say 'I love you' to mother
- Boy flies 5,000 miles home to see sick Mum in hospital
- The 2016 John Lewis Christmas ad campaign is finally here!
- Trump slams Obama and Iran over mysterious money transfer tape
- Army veteran confronts suspected remembrance poppy conman
- Teen attacked for voicing support for Trump online
- Seth Meyers gets emotional talking about mom's disappointment
- Incredible behind the scenes look at Planet Earth's snake attack
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.