Leonard Cohen died in his sleep at his LA home after suffering a fall
- Leonard Cohen died in his sleep on November 7 after a fall at his LA home
- His manager Robert B. Kory issued a statement saying it was 'unexpected'
- The details provide the first glimpse of how Cohen died last week aged 82
- He was buried in a small cemetery in Montreal next to his parents
Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen died in his sleep after falling down in the middle of the night at his Los Angeles home, his manager said Wednesday.
'The death was sudden, unexpected and peaceful,' manager Robert B. Kory said in a statement.
The details from Kory provided the first glimpse of how Cohen died.
No cause was given last week in the initial announcement of his death.
Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen died in his sleep after falling down in the middle of the night at his Los Angeles home on November 7, his manager said Wednesday
The statement also said that Cohen died on November 7 - three days before his passing was made public.
The singer, songwriter and poet behind 'Hallelujah,' ''Bird on a Wire' and 'Suzanne' was 82 when he died.
Cohen had been in declining health for much of the year, though he revealed few details.
He is survived by his children, Adam and Lorca, and his three grandchildren, Cassius, Viva and Lyon.
His son Adam, who is himself a singer-songwriter, wrote an emotional tribute to his father last week.
Scroll down for video
The details from Kory provided the first glimpse of how Cohen (pictured performing in the UK in 1970) died after the news of his death broke
Cohen, pictured in 2012 (left) and in August (right) was described by record label Sony as 'one of music's most revered and prolific visionaries'
The legendary singer-songwriter, pictured in New York in 2014, released 14 albums over a 50-year career in music
In a Facebook post, Adam said he wanted to thank his father for the 'wisdom he dispensed' and 'his dazzling wit and humor.'
He also said he would like to thank his father for his music, which he said 'seduced me as a boy'.
Adam said he and his sister had just buried their father in Montreal, next to his mother and father - 'exactly as he'd asked'.
Cohen was buried in Montreal in a small ceremony on November 10, the same day his death was announced.
'With only immediate family and a few lifelong friends present, he was lowered into the ground in an unadorned pine box, next to his mother and father,' Adam Cohen wrote in a statement last week.
Cohen's representatives say a memorial in Los Angeles is being planned.
Cohen was buried in Montreal in a small ceremony on November 10 next to his mother and father, his son Adam said
Cohen's death was announced in a statement on his Facebook page last week. The Canadian singer-songwriter is pictured here in London in 1974
Most watched News videos
- Victoria Fritz hides her baby bump moments before giving birth
- Man discovers wife is cheating on him following her with drone
- Mob storm police station and lynch suspected paedophile
- Is this the creepy moment the corpse of a girl OPENS her eyes?
- The best gift of all: Come home for Xmas with Heathrow Airport
- Ivanka Trump gives glimpse of her father's $100m penthouse
- President-elect Trump and family dine out at famous 21 Club
- Shocking moment Kumbuka tries to smash glass at London Zoo
- 100 special police agents protect suspected paedophile from mob
- Little girl leaps to her sister's defense during scolding
- Model Xenia Deli arrives on horse cart for her wedding reception
- CCTV of man believed to be involved with luxury boat fire