West Ham set to sign Alex Song in season-long loan deal from Barcelona
- West Ham hope to complete a loan deal for Alex Song this weekend
- Song has failed to make an impression on new Barcelona boss Luis Enrique
- The midfielder spent six years at Arsenal, playing 175 times
- Liverpool and Tottenham are also interested in securing Song's services
- Song’s arrival at Upton Park could see Mohamed Diame joining QPR
West Ham will look to complete a season-long loan deal for Alex Song this weekend.
The Barcelona midfielder has been told he can leave the Nou Camp ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline, and the Hammers are in talks with the former Arsenal man about a temporary switch to Upton Park.
Manager Sam Allardyce was growing increasingly confident of landing Song on Friday after the Hammers made good progress towards a deal.
VIDEO: Scroll down for Alex Song screams during his Ice Bucket Challenge
Gunner: Alex Song is no stranger to the Premier League, having played for Arsenal between 2005 and 2012
Sportsmail understands Song is on standby to travel to London this weekend to complete his move to east London once a deal is finalised.
The Hammers are remaining understandably cautious, with a number of clubs across Europe understood to be interested in the 26-year-old Cameroon international.
Unwanted: Alex Song signed for Barcelona in 2012 for £15 million, but has failed to cement a first-team place
But following successful talks, the Hammers are hopeful of completing the signing.
Song’s arrival could spell the end of Mohamed Diame’s stay at the Hammers.
Diame is wanted by Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp, and Song’s signing may see the powerful midfielder deemed surplus to requirements.
Experience: Song (right) would bring Premier League and Champions League experience to Upton Park
On his way: Alex Song has failed to make an impression on new Barcelona coach Luis Enrique
QPR bound? Song's arrival at Upton Park could see Mohamed Diame joining Harry Redknapp at QPR
Most watched Sport videos
- Haye and Bellew throw punches at each other during press conference
- Jurgen Klopp shows protective side for his younger players
- Arsène Wenger starring role in campaign for Save The Children
- Rivals Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg test the Mercedes W07
- Mob storm police station and lynch suspected paedophile
- Boxer Anthony Joshua trains in the gym with Jamie Reynolds
- Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew square up at press conference
- Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg argue about who is the best
- Eric Bristow is scolded by mother of abused children on GMB
- Celtic Football Club release 'Celebrate Celtic this Christmas
- 100 special police agents protect suspected paedophile from mob
- Lewis Hamilton opens up about feud with Nico Rosberg
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.