No I DON'T want my picture taken: Polar bear smashes £130,000 of camera equipment during wildlife documentary
Wildlife documentary-makers are going to increasingly cunning means to sneak into the secret world of their subjects but don't think for a second that the animals are fooled, as these images prove.
Award-winning director John Downer had disguised one of his remote-controlled spy cameras as a large snowball to capture the journey of a polar bear mother and her cub crossing the sea ice in Svalbard, Norway, in search of seals.
But - in a documentary Dowler says captures the bears' 'astonishing intelligence' - this adult male wasn't having the wool pulled over his eyes.
Chase me: The bear sets his sights on the mobile blizzard camera
Gotcha: Once the bear gets hold of the expensive piece of equipment ...
...it doesn't stand a chance and the bear reduces the £100,000 piece to pieces
Instead, he marched straight up to the 'snowball' camera and, after briefly exploring it with a massive paw, gave the director and his producer a close-up while he smashed it to pieces.
But the bear wasn't finished there and without pause for thought he set his sights on a second piece of equipment, Downer's £100,000 blizzard camera.
The 'blizzard cam' is on wheels and remote-controlled, and even though the film-maker tried to steer the expensive equipment out of harms way it was no match for an angry polar bear weighing upwards of half a ton.
Round two: The bear finds the snowball camera, gives it the once over with his massive paws and then ...
... smashes it to bits, sending half of it spinning away into the arctic wastes
Fortunately, the documentary maker
had other equipment with which to record the attacks and, after
destroying two cameras, the bear calmed down.
'Curiosity satisfied, the animals eventually behaved normally,' said Mr Downer.
out spycams reveal that polar bears’ intelligence and curiosity are key
to their survival in a world of shrinking ice.'
His film, Polar Bear: Spy On The Ice, is on BBC1 next Wednesday.
What are you looking at: The spy cameras took some incredible close-up footage before they were destroyed
Most watched News videos
- Motorcyclist gets revenge when handing back driver's dropped wallet
- Traveller carrying wooden bat in tense stand-off with bailiffs
- Watch the deadly battle between a squirrel and snake
- Moment judge gets slapped in the face at 2016 IFBB Diamond Cup
- Mob storm police station and lynch suspected paedophile
- Police: Thief stole $1.6m in GOLD FLAKES from New York City truck
- 100 special police agents protect suspected paedophile from mob
- Watch your back! Bull calf gets revenge on cocky matador
- Bully is floored by a single punch after picking on the wrong guy
- Moment blind people describe their loved ones to a sculptor
- Police protect Douglas Carswell from angry London protesters
- Angry driver smashes luxury car after prankster stops traffic
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.