King of Sweden calls for a ban on BATHS and admits he is now ‘ashamed’ to run one after realising how much energy they use
- King of Sweden has called for a ban on baths to help save the environment
- He realised how much energy it used staying somewhere without a shower
- King Carl XVI Gustaf added apparently in jest: 'We should ban all baths'
- Swedish head of state said he also now drives an eco-friendly hybrid car
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (pictured) has called for a ban on baths to help save the environment
The King of Sweden has called for a ban on baths to help save the environment.
King Carl XVI Gustaf, who once had a reputation as a lothario and is now a staunch environmentalist, said he realised how much water and energy they used when he was recently staying somewhere without a shower.
The 69-year-old ‘green king’ told Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet: ‘It hit me how much water and energy it used.
‘I thought “I can’t believe I’m having to do this”. I felt quite ashamed.’
Apparently in jest, he added: ‘We should ban all baths.’
The Swedish head of state said he now drives an eco-friendly hybrid car, turning around his lifelong reputation as a ‘petrolhead’.
‘When I drive into town, it’s on electricity,’ he said.
Much like the Prince Charles’s overhaul of Highgrove House with ‘eco toilets’, the Swedish king’s residence has been made greener with environmentally-friendly heating and low-energy lightbulbs.
‘We do what we can here at the palace. It’s an ongoing project trying to save energy, but it isn’t easy in an old property,’ he said.
King Carl Gustaf attended the first UN environmental conference in Stockholm and 1972 and is due to attend UN climate change talks in Paris in just over a week.
He said: ‘We have to think that we will do our best. And I think there is a general feeling that we’re going to achieve it.’
Scroll down for video
He said he realised how much water and energy baths used when he was recently staying somewhere without a shower. Apparently in jest, the 69-year-old 'green king' added: ‘We should ban all baths' (file photo)
Most watched News videos
- Boy shows amazing talent impersonating Winifred from Hocus Pocus
- Mob storm police station and lynch suspected paedophile
- Amazon staff work tirelessly to get parcels out to customers
- Watch the original 1972 trailer for 'Last Tango in Paris'
- 73-year-old ex-Marine punches bear in the face to save his dogs
- 100 special police agents protect suspected paedophile from mob
- Can you spot something odd about The Apprentice 'walk of shame'?
- Moment judge gets slapped in the face at 2016 IFBB Diamond Cup
- Reckless 20-year-old streams doomed joy-ride on Facebook Live
- Heartwarming trailer Angel of Nanjing features Mister Chen
- Aerial view of the Oakland warehouse destroyed by a fire
- The hunt for Hillary Clinton on Saturday Night Live
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.