Why I'm going: Carlos Tevez blames Manchester City chiefs for decision to move after club reject written transfer request
Carlos Tevez has turned his fire on Manchester City's chief executive Garry Cook as he outlined his reasons for wanting to leave the club.
Speaking for the first time since his dramatic decision to ask for a transfer last week, Tevez - on a club-approved holiday in Tenerife - issued a statement in which he revealed he has no problem with manager Roberto Mancini.
In the statement, Tevez:
Shove off: Roberto Mancini pushes away Carlos Tevez after their row at Eastlands last week - but the Argentine insists he has no problem with the manager
Tevez, who could walk away from football if City insist on holding him to his three and a half year contract, said he had spent 'many hours thinking it through' and admitted he had wanted to go last summer. He said that he has rejected a new contract and insisted his desire to leave is 'not about money.'
On Sunday night, Chelsea, with a new transfer budget for manager Carlos Ancelotti, were believed to be monitoring the situation.
City had earlier attacked Tevez's mentor Kia Joorabchian. They say Tevez is the highest paid player at the club and claim he is being influenced to leave. That provoked an angry reaction from Tevez.
‘I have not been influenced by anyone else in making this decision,' he said. 'It is something I have felt for some time and have spent many hours thinking this through. I wanted to leave in the summer, but was influenced then and convinced to return to the club. Sadly, my feelings have not changed. I hugely resent the management's suggestions that I have been unduly influenced by others.
'I am disappointed that the management should now see fit to try to portray the situation in another light. My relationship with certain executives and individuals at the club has broken down and is now beyond repair. I do not wish to expand on this at this stage. They know, because I have told them.'
Tevez thanked the fans for their support during his time at the club, adding: 'Since signing for Manchester city, I have enjoyed playing for the supporters. They have welcomed me to the club and I regret that it has come to this. They deserve success as reward for their passionate and patient support. The club is very fortunate to have supporters like this
Happier times: Tevez is all smiles upon his arrival at Eastlands in July 2009
'Anybody who has watched me play for Manchester City, cannot question my commitment and passion for the club whenever I have worn the shirt.'
Tevez, who informed the club of his decision last Wednesday, continued: 'I can confirm I have handed a transfer request to the chairman of Manchester City Football Club. And now I need to clear my head and think because this is an important part of my career. My feelings have not changed and it is regrettable we have reached this situation.
‘I could have signed an improved contract, offered by the club for this season, however this decision is not about money. I have made that clear to both the board and the management on several occasions.' City deny his version of events relating to his contract offer.
Leading by example? Tevez was handed the captaincy at the start of the season - but has revealed he wanted to leave the club back in the summer
He continued: 'The owner has been very generous with what he has offered to me. I would like to thank the owner Sheik Mansour for his understanding and support.'
In a surprising move, Tevez supported
manager Roberto Mancini and said: 'I wish to clarify that I have no
personal issue with the manager.'
With Mancini in Italy to visit his father and undergo some minor medical treatment on his eye, the City manager was being kept informed of developments by his coaching staff.
One of the things he is considering in the short-term is whether to relieve Tevez of the captaincy. In the longer term, City have rejected Tevez's request and insist he won't be sold when the transfer window opens in January.
The club feel it is Joorabchian who
is driving the matter, though, and came out fighting on Sunday.
A City statement said: 'The club remain disappointed and particularly with the actions of Carlos' representative.
'The written transfer request is in stark contrast to Carlos' stated position in public.
'Significantly, over recent months, the club has also received numerous requests from Carlos' representative to renegotiate and improve his playing contract as well as more recently a request to extend that contract by another year.
'This has not been granted. He is the highest paid player at the club.'
Tevez was initially due to be included in the City squad that travels to Italy for a Europa League dead rubber against Juventus on Thursday. It is now thought that he will not go, nor will any of the team that won at West Ham on Saturday.
Most watched Sport videos
- Costa celebrates with beer after his strike led to victory
- Klopp mentioned back in October Karius was their number one
- Man United 1-0 Tottenham: Jose Mourinho on win
- Mario Balotelli does football tricks in his living room
- Leicester starlet Layton Ndukwu scores wondergoal from half-way line
- Nazi hunters arrest their number one was crimes suspect
- A who's-who of sports stars appear in rousing new Beats trailer
- Gareth Southgate praises Sky Sports reporter Nick Collins
- Sky Sports presenter Nick Collins falls over live on air
- Man City's glass tunnel where fans get close to players
- Pep Guardiola discusses Manchester City's 4-2 loss to Leicester
- Cristiano Ronaldo perfectly flips water bottle in skills challenge
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.