Split! Flip Or Flop's Tarek and Christina El Moussa end seven year marriage as it is revealed they have both been seeing other people
- HGTV stars Tarek and Christina El Moussa have called it quits after seven years of marriage
- The two have been seeing other people for months according to a source
- Their split comes six months after police responded to the couple's home for receiving a call of a 'possibly suicidal male with a gun'
- The husband and wife real estate agent couple attended counseling but decided to separate while assessing the 'future' of their marriage
- Production of the show will continue and HGTV announced they will honor any decision the couple makes
- Their separation comes two weeks after Tarek announced he was cancer free after discovering he had thyroid cancer when a viewer of the program noticed a lump in his throat
- Tarek showed off his trigger skills on the firing range with an AR-15 last week in an Instagram video which has since been deleted
HGTV stars Tarek and Christina El Moussa have called it quits after seven years of marriage.
The Flip Or Flop stars - who had police called out to their home six months ago after receiving a call of 'a possibly suicidal male with a gun' who turned out to be Tarek - announced their separation to People on Monday.
'Like many couples, we have had challenges in our marriage. We had an unfortunate misunderstanding about six months ago and the police were called to our house in an abundance of caution. There was no violence and no charges were filed,' the pair released in a statement.
A source later told the magazine that the couple, who have two young children, has been living apart since that incident in May, and that they are both seeing other people.
Christina's friendship with a 'fellow design industry professional' has turned romantic as Tarek is also dating, though it was not infidelity that led to their split.
Scroll down for video
Split! HGTV stars Tarek and Christina El Moussa have called it quits after seven years of marriage following a police-involved altercation at their home six months ago. Here they are seen in March
The husband and wife real estate agent couple told the publication they attended marriage counseling but decided to separate while assessing 'the future of our marriage.'
Tarek, 35, and Christina, 33 - who star in the home makeover program - added in their statement: 'During the process, we are committed to our kids and being the best parents we can be.'
'We will continue to work through this process civilly and cooperatively, and plan to continue our professional life together.'
Former flames: The couple - who tied the knot in 2009 - share two children, daughter Taylor, six, and one-year-old Brayden, and appeared happier than ever at their son's first birthday in August
The couple - who tied the knot in 2009 - share two children, daughter Taylor, six, and 15-month-old Brayden.
On the same day the shocking announcement was made, Christina shared a sweet Christmas snapshot of her little ones visiting Santa which she shared with her Instagram followers.
Back in May cops were called to the couple's home after an altercation involving guns and a possible suicide attempt, according to TMZ.
Taking aim: Christina, 33, called police back in May to say that Tarek, 35, was suicidal and had a gun - Tarek on the firing range with an AR-15 last week in an Instagram video which has since been deleted
Great news: Tarek announced two weeks ago that he was cancer free after discovering he had thyroid cancer when a viewer of the program noticed a lump in his throat - pictured after surgery when he was fist diagnosed
A helicopter and nearly a dozen deputies responded as witnesses told the site they saw Tarek run out the back door of his home with a gun and tried to escape down a hiking trail.
Sources added they saw Christina run out of the house sobbing and trembling just shortly after.
The site reported that Tarek was eventually spotted by officers and ordered to drop his weapon.
The father-of-two allegedly told police he had no intention of injuring himself and simply wanted to 'blow off some steam.'
Five guns were later seized from the home, including an AR-15.
Precious! The same day their split was announced, Christina shared a sweet Christmas snapshot of her two kids - daughter Taylor, 6, and son Brayden, 15 months - visiting Santa
'Raising kids is the most important thing': Tarek also took to Instagram on the day of the separation announcement with a photo of a book entitled '10 Things Great Dads Do'
That weapon seemed to be back in Tarek's hands however, as he showed off his trigger skills on the firing range with an AR-15 last week in an Instagram video which has since been deleted.
Their separation comes two weeks after Tarek announced he was cancer free after discovering he had thyroid cancer when a viewer of the program noticed a lump in his throat.
A woman watching an episode of their popular show got in contact with Tarek to tell him he should get tested to see if he had cancer after noticing an odd lump in his throat.
It turned out that he did have thyroid cancer, and just two weeks ago he got some great news which he posted on Instagram.
Dramatic altercation: Back in May cops were called to the couple's home after responding to a call of 'a possibly suicidal male with a gun' - according to TMZ
'Rough couple of years.. Today I Went in for another cancer screening and it was all clear!' he captioned a photo of himself and his wife by his side in a hospital bed from when he had his first surgery.
He instead took to Instagram on the day of the separation announcement with a photo of a book entitled '10 Things Great Dads Do.'
He wrote in the caption: 'Raising kids is the most important thing a parent can do. Like anything in life... The harder you work at it the better they will be!'
HGTV announced that Flip or Flop 'will continue production as scheduled,' and comply with any decision the couple makes for their show and their children.
Separated: The husband and wife real estate agent couple told People magazine they are assessing 'the future of our marriage'
Most watched News videos
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Prince Philip reminisces about expansion of Duke of Edinburgh awards
- Homeowner trolls bungling burglar with Mission Impossible theme
- 'They make each other laugh': Countess Sophie on the Duke and Queen
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- 'I wanted the painting!': Joanna Lumley jokes about Duke's artwork
- Adorable baby dressed as Lion comes face to face with real one
- Hammer wielding thugs smash car windows and threaten man
- Adorable dog won't allow owner to stop scratching his belly
- Ferrari crashes into pedestrians while racing near Battersea Dogs Home