'She's furious her legacy is being tampered with': Olivia Newton-John 'raging' over Delta Goodrem playing her in biopic because she believes she 'cannot act'
Delta Goodrem is set to play Olivia Newton-John in Channel Seven's authorised biopic next year.
But a report published in Woman's Day on Monday claims Olivia is angered by the production and its casting.
An industry insider told the magazine: 'Olivia is raging that Delta has been chosen to play her.'
'Can't believe they've chosen Delta': Olivia Newton-John believed to be 'raging' over Delta Goodrem playing her in biopic as insiders say Olivia believes the singer 'cannot act', reports suggest in Woman's Day on Monday
In a statement released earlier this year, FilmVic said the production would retell the story of the singer's success in Hollywood.
'The story of Olivia Newton-John will chart her remarkable path through one of the world’s toughest industries, and provide a glimpse into the extraordinary achievements of one of Australia’s most loved icons,' the statement read.
While Delta and Olivia have performed duets together in the past, it's been reported the celebrities have feuded for years.
The unknown source also added: 'She can't believe they've chosen Delta, someone she believes cannot act. She's furious her legacy is being tampered with.'
'She's furious her legacy is being tampered with': Industry insiders claim Olivia aimed to block the product and was further angered to discover Delta would be playing her
Greatest hits: The Grease star is also believed to be worried the Voice judge will use the biopic as a platform to release an album full of cover songs
The Grease star is also believed to be worried The Voice judge will use the biopic as a platform to release an album full of cover songs.
While filming is due to start this month, the article claimed Delta asked for her 'idol's blessing' before taking on the role.
Daily Mail Australia have contacted both parties for comment.
A representative for Olivia Newton-John told Daily Mail Australia: 'There is no merit to any of this.'
Feuding? The article claimed Delta has said she asked for her 'idol's blessing' before taking on the role
In December, sources claimed the 68-year-old star had objected to the biopic and even made attempts to block it's production.
New Idea reported that the seasoned actress was doing 'everything in her power' to shut down the project.
The magazine further claimed that Olivia issued Fremantle Media, which is producing the film, with a cease and desist letter.
'(Olivia's) very upset and is not taking (Delta's) calls,' the insider said. 'She expects Delta to publicly disassociate herself from the movie before she'll talk to her again.'
Silent treatment: A source revealed earlier this month to New Idea that Olivia refuses to talk to Delta until she publicly disassociate herself from the biopic
Read more! You can read more about the stars' ongoing feud in the recent issue of Woman's Day, out now
Most watched News videos
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Prince Philip reminisces about expansion of Duke of Edinburgh awards
- Homeowner trolls bungling burglar with Mission Impossible theme
- 'They make each other laugh': Countess Sophie on the Duke and Queen
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- 'I wanted the painting!': Joanna Lumley jokes about Duke's artwork
- Adorable baby dressed as Lion comes face to face with real one
- Hammer wielding thugs smash car windows and threaten man
- Adorable dog won't allow owner to stop scratching his belly
- Lads post the rudest mannequin challenge from "Scottish party"