FIRST LOOK: Nicole Kidman is a far cry from her usual glamorous self in unruly grey wig and no make-up in Top Of The Lake season 2
With her unruly grey wig and slightly haggard appearance, Nicole Kidman looks a far cry from her usual glamorous self in the second series of BBC drama Top Of The Lake.
The actress's appearance was revealed for the first time in the shot which shows her in the Jane Campion-directed drama.
The 49-year-old actress plays Julia, an Australian mother whose story intertwines with Elisabeth Moss's Detective Robin Griffin, who reprises her role.
Scroll down for videos
Who's that actress? Nicole Kidman in the first photograph showing her in a new series of Top Of The Lake
The original Top Of The Lake followed Robin investigating the disappearance of 12-year-old Tui Mitchell.
It starred Holly Hunter as androgynous spiritual leader GJ who also sported a rather dowdy appearance in the drama.
The new series, entitled Top of the Lake: China Girl, continues five years on from the ending of the first season which was set in New Zealand.
This time round, Robin is trying to rebuild her life in Sydney.
So glam: Nicole in more familiar guise in a black gown at the Critics' Choice Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday night
But when the body of an Asian girl washes up on Bondi Beach, Robin has little to go on until she realises 'China Girl' didn't die alone.
Her search to discover the girl's identity then takes her into the city's criminal underbelly.
Nicole's role sees her re-team with Campion with whom she collaborated on 1996 movie The Portrait Of A Lady.
First series: Elisabeth Moss as seen in Top Of The Lake which aired in 2013
'I am very excited to be coming home to work with darling friend Jane Campion, whose work I respect and admire,' Nicole told Sydney's Daily Telegraph earlier this year.
'I’m also so happy to be joining the incredible Elisabeth Moss.'
Elisabeth's acclaimed turn as Robin won her the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film and an Emmy nomination.
Also joining the Top Of The Lake cast is Game Of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie who is thought to appear in one episode of the new series.
Transformation: Holly Hunter also looked startlingly different as GJ in the first series of Top Of The Lake which aired in 2013
Most watched News videos
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- Lads post the rudest mannequin challenge from "Scottish party"
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet