This time, they both win! Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin take home Critics Choice Awards after portrayals of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on SNL
- McKinnon was awarded Best Actress in a Comedy Series while Baldwin was recognized as Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series
- Neither attended the awards ceremony in Santa Monica, California on Sunday
- Baldwin, who has attracted the ire of president-elect Donald Trump for his squinting and pouting caricature, acknowledged the win on Twitter
- McKinnon has shown impressive range tackling Clinton, along with Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway and German Chancellor Angela Merkel
- McKinnon was also been nominated for her role in the Ghostbusters reboot, but lost out to Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins for Best Actress in a Comedy
Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin were both winners at the Critics Choice Awards for their spot-on impersonations of the presidential candidates on Saturday Night Live.
While president-elect Donald Trump has lashed out at Baldwin's portrayal of him and branded Saturday Night Live 'unwatchable', the Broadcast Films Critics Association certainly disagreed on Sunday.
McKinnon was awarded Best Actress in a Comedy Series while Baldwin was recognized as Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series.
Scroll down for video
Kate McKinnon and Alec Baldwin were both winners at the Critics Choice Awards for their spot-on impersonations of the presidential candidates on Saturday Night Live
McKinnon was awarded Best Actress in a Comedy Series while Baldwin was recognized as Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series (pictured, the two in New York City in November)
Neither of them attended the ceremony on Sunday, although Baldwin acknowledged his award on Twitter
Neither McKinnon nor Baldwin attended the ceremony at Santa Monica Airport's Barker Hangar in California on Sunday.
McKinnon was also been nominated for her role in the Ghostbusters reboot, but lost out to Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins for Best Actress in a Comedy.
It was ultimately McKinnon's work on SNL that snagged the prize against Ellie Kemper, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Tracee Ellis Ross, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Constance Wu.
The 32-year-old comedian has shown an impressive range playing everyone from German Chancellor Angela Merkel to Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway on SNL.
But it was her pitch-perfect role as Clinton alongside Baldwin's squinting and pouting caricature of Trump that really won the attention of viewers in the lead-up to the elections.
McKinnon's pitch-perfect role as Clinton (left) alongside Baldwin's squinting and pouting caricature of Trump (right) provided comic relief in the lead up to the elections
Just last week, Trump took to Twitter to say he wasn't impressed with the show's portrayal of him
Alec Baldwin, tweeting under his foundation's account, challenged the president-elect to release his tax returns in response
The show attracted the ire of Trump on numerous occasions, and he launched Twitter attacks against the show week after week.
Just last week, Trump tweeted: 'Just tried watching Saturday Night Live - unwatchable! Totally biased, not funny and the Baldwin impersonation just can't get any worse. Sad.'
Baldwin shot back at Trump writing: '@realDonaldTrump, release your tax returns and I'll stop. Ha.'
The awards ceremony on Sunday also took on a political note, with host TJ Miller incorporating several digs at Trump in his opening monologue.
He said: 'Trolls did well this year. Not the movie, the ones on the internet. One got elected president.'
He also sidestepped mentions of his arrest after he reportedly slapped an Uber driver during a heated argument over the president-elect.
Most watched News videos
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Lads post the rudest mannequin challenge from "Scottish party"
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky