Teacher, 42, shared hundreds of sordid text messages and bawdy poetry with student, 13, he invited to his house before she 'killed herself after he broke off the relationship'
- Mentally unstable teenager Reiha McLelland, 13, took her own life in 2014
- Details have emerged of her relationship with teacher Sam Back, 42
- Thousands of sordid text messages were exchanged between the pair
- They referred to each other as 'darling' and 'big boy', shared adult poetry
- Inquest heard from Reiha's psychologist who said she was likely 'in love'
A 13-year-old girl was likely 'in love' with a male teacher she shared a disturbing relationship with before tragically taking her own life.
New Zealand man Sam Back, 42, exchanged thousands of sordid text messages with Reiha McLelland referring to her as his 'darling', while she called him 'big boy'.
The impressionable teenager shared adult-themed poetry with Mr Black, and on at least two occasions stayed overnight at his home with his girlfriend Angie Memphis.
An inquest into the mentally unstable teen's death heard from her psychologist, who said the relationship breakdown in 2014 would have hit Reiha like a divorce.
Reiha's psychiatrist agreed, adding that the schoolgirl would have felt immense pressure to keep the relationship a secret.
Reiha McLelland, 13, was likely 'in love' with a male teacher she shared a disturbing relationship with before taking her own life
New Zealand man Sam Back, 42, (pictured) exchanged thousands of sordid text messages with Reiha McLelland referring to her as his 'darling'
The psychologist told the inquest that 'having formed such a close relationship with the teachers, she felt a need to protect them,' the NZ Herald reported.
'She was keeping a big secret' and 'her main allegiance was to the teachers,' he added.
An earlier inquest hearing shed light on the night Reiha's former teacher allowed her to stay at his home in Gisborne, New Zealand, without her parent's knowledge, the NZ Herald reported in September.
During the inquest Mr Back said he did not believe there was anything inappropriate about the 13-year-old girl referring to him as 'big boy.'
When the family's lawyer, Moira Macnab, pointed out the term usually referenced a man's genitals, Mr Back replied that was 'disgusting.'
The inquest found the pair shared adult-themed poetry, with the 42-year-old critiquing her work.
He would discretely pick Reiha up in his car around the corner from sports games and promised her they would 'travel the world together'.
An earlier inquest hearing shed light on the night Reiha appeared at her former teacher and his partner Angie Mepham's (pictured) house soaking wet - and he allowed her to stay the night
The relationship between Reiha and Mr Black and his girlfriend ended when the schoolgirl's parents caught her sneaking out and getting in a car with the pair
The inquest found the pair shared adult-themed poetry, with the 42-year-old critiquing her work (pictured are poems believed to be written by Reiha)
The inquest also unravelled the night in 2013 Reiha appeared at her former teacher's house soaking wet - and he let her stay the night without calling her parents.
Reiha showed up to the home Mr Back shared with his girlfriend Angie Mepham and insisted the couple refrain from notifying her parents.
Mr Back now claims it was a mistake to have kept her parents in the dark about Reiha sleeping in his spare room.
'I really think that I should have called the principal right away.'
Reiha's parents learned about the relationship when they caught Reiha sneaking out at night and found her carrying her passport in a nearby car with Mr Back and his Ms Mepham.
In one text message examined in the inquest the 13-year-old asked Mr Back if she could stay the night at his home again, to which he replied 'as long as all your bases are covered.'
Mr Back was deregistered from teaching by the Education Council, after a nurse walked in on him 'cuddling' her on a hospital bed, according to a tribunal decision.
Ms Mepham was reprimanded and made to complete a course on setting professional boundaries, but was allowed to continue teaching.
Reiha's grieving father Bruce McLelland (pictured) said Mr Back was an 'absolute mongrel'
Most watched News videos
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky
- Lads post the rudest mannequin challenge from "Scottish party"