No trains, no cards and now no presents! Christmas strike nightmare gets worse as Argos delivery drivers announce they will stop working next week in a dispute over pay
- Unite members employed by Wincanton at a distribution centre will walk out
- Strike for three days from next Tuesday is over row about holiday back pay
- Union warns it will threaten the delivery of goods in the run-up to Christmas
- It follows strike action by Southern Railway drivers and Post Office workers
Unite members employed by Wincanton at a distribution centre in Burton-under-Needwood, Staffordshire, will walk out for three days from next Tuesday.
The union, which is embroiled in a row over holiday back pay, warned this would threaten the delivery of goods in the run-up to Christmas.
Van: Drivers who deliver goods for retail giant Argos are to go on strike in a dispute over pay
People spoke of their anger at strikes affecting Argos, Southern Railway and the Post Office
It follows strike action by Southern Railway train drivers causing travel chaos today and Post Office workers staging five days of industrial action next week.
Twitter users spoke of their anger at the strikes, with one saying: ‘What is this, the 80s? Will not be held to ransom. Train drivers, postal workers et al, do one.'
Del Walker added: 'So long as I don't need to catch a train to post a letter and wait in for an Argos delivery, I should avoid the strikes #thiscountry.'
Clayton McCranor said: 'So, Southern Trains, Post Office, Argos drivers and no doubt others striking... When can we start mentioning a "Winter of Discontent"?'
And Gav Bacon tweeted: 'Trains. Post office. Argos! What is wrong with people? Just do your job. This isn't the 1970s. Get back to work!'
Meanwhile radio broadcaster James Whale added: 'Argos delivery drivers now going on strike. Let's just cancel Christmas, problem solved.'
Reaction: One Twitter user asked: ‘When can we start mentioning a "Winter of Discontent"?'
Retail chain: Members of Unite employed by Wincanton at a distribution centre will walk out for three days from next Tuesday, which the union warned threatened the delivery of goods
Unite regional officer Rick Coyle said talks will be held tomorrow under the auspices of the conciliation service Acas.
‘For more than two years Unite has tried to solve this dispute and tomorrow we will continue to strain every sinew to achieve that goal,’ he said.
‘However, until there is a satisfactory settlement, the 72-hour strike due to start on Tuesday is still scheduled to go ahead.’
An Argos spokesman said: ‘We would encourage both sides to keep talking with the aim of coming to a swift resolution.
Waiting game at London Victoria: Today, a strike by train drivers on Southern Railway crippled thousands of services and caused misery for hundreds of thousands of passengers
‘We also have contingency plans in place and can reassure customers we're working hard to ensure this will not impact our deliveries this Christmas.’
Today, a strike by train drivers on Southern Railway crippled thousands of services and caused misery for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Aslef members mounted picket lines outside stations at the start of a 48-hour walkout in a dispute over driver-only trains, with another strike planned for Friday.
Normally busy railway stations were deserted as passengers worked from home, took the day off or attempted to drive.
More industrial action: Meanwhile Post Office workers are to stage five days of strikes next week in a dispute over jobs, pensions and branch closures
All of Southern's 2,242 weekday services were cancelled, causing the worst disruption for more than 20 years.
Meanwhile Post Office workers are to stage five days of strikes next week in a dispute over jobs, pensions and branch closures.
The Communication Workers Union said the action will include Christmas Eve.
The union is embroiled in a long-running dispute over job losses, the closure of a final salary pension scheme and the franchising of Crown Post Offices, the larger branches usually sited on high streets.
Most watched News videos
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Bill Murray and President Obama play golf in the Oval Office