British tourist, 51, falls to his death from third floor hotel balcony during Costa del Sol holiday with ‘new girlfriend’
- The tourist has been named locally as Mark Woodward
- He died after the fall at Hostal El Cid in the town of Fuengirola
- He was staying at the two-star hotel with his girlfriend, who he had recently started dating
The balcony from which the 51-year-old man fell on the Costa Del Sol
A British holidaymaker has died after plunging from the third floor of his Costa del Sol hotel.
The 51-year-old, named locally as Mark Woodward, was staying with his girlfriend at the two-star Hostal El Cid in the popular tourist town of Fuengirola when he fell.
It happened at around 3.30pm yesterday. It is thought his unnamed partner was in the room with him at the time.
The results of a post-mortem which was due to take place this morning/yesterday morning (FRI) have not been made public.
No-one from the hostal which has themed rooms based on different figures from world history including Julius Caesar and Karl Marx, was available for comment.
Police are still investigating but say there is nothing to indicate the death was the result of a crime.
The nationality of the dead man’s partner, who is he only thought to have started dating recently, is not known.
In June 2011 Swedish tourist Sandra Eleonora Karlsson, 19, was stabbed to death at the hostal a five-minute walk from the beach by a 30-year-old Moroccan immigrant.
The Swedish friend she was sharing a room with was injured in the sexually-motivated attack after trying to defend herself.
The man's partner is understood to have been in the room with him before he fell
The female pair had travelled to Spain and checked into the hostal for the second year running to celebrate the end of the academic year.
A worker at the hostal managed to wrestle the knife from the attacker’s hand with the help of an off-duty police after the injured teenager raised the alarm.
He was sentenced to 35 years in prison in February 2014.
The tragedy happened in the popular tourist town of Fuengirola in the Costa Del Sol, where the man was staying with his partner
Most watched News videos
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- Valley Stream Best Buy associates gift a teen with a Wii U
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky
- 'I'm going to wing walk!' Schofield talks to Duke about wing walk
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them
- Bill Murray and President Obama play golf in the Oval Office
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.