The miracle baby who died three times during traumatic birth
Last updated at 11:28 13 June 2007
Kayley Crow was born weighing just 2lb 1oz - 11 weeks before she was due.
Mother Jaime Crow, 27, feared the worst for her premature second child as Kayley's heart stopped three times during the birth due to complications.
Doctors had detected preeclampsia in the young mum that was putting both lives at critical risk.
Crow said: "The doctors told me the baby wasn't getting any oxygen because my blood pressure was going through the roof.
"They said that if I didn't have a Caesarean immediately we would both die."
Jaime was rushed to Queen's Hospital, Romford, on February 14 for an emergency Caesarean almost three months before her due date.
"I was terrified, especially as I wasn't due before April 25."
Despite a successful delivery at 1.11pm, even greater dangers lay ahead for fragile Kayley as she clung to life.
"Her heart kept stopping," said Crow.
"Kayley died three times but the doctors were able to resuscitate her every time - everyone said it was a miracle. It was touch and go for weeks.
"She had 13 blood transfusions and each day I went to see her I cried my eyes out because I felt so helpless.
"It broke my heart to see her go through all that suffering."
But the worst was still to come. After five weeks in an incubator, Kayley developed a serious bowel infection. Her mother said: "It happened all of a sudden, overnight, just as we thought she was getting better.
"Her whole body swelled up like a balloon. We thought we were going to lose her - I don't think I've ever prayed so hard in my whole life."
Kayley was rushed to the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, where surgeons removed the infected part of her bladder.
She made a full recovery and after two weeks in Goodmayes King George Hospital, Kayley has gone home for the first time.
"Kayley is a genuine miracle baby," said her proud mum. "She has the heart of a lion.
"I'm the proudest mum in the world to have such an amazing little girl.
"She's a perfect, beautiful, healthy baby and weighs 6lb 3oz now.
"Our girl fought to stay alive and won - I'm the happiest mum in the world."
Most watched News videos
- Watch woman get dragged off jet by police in Detroit
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- 'We talked about life': Trump and Kanye discuss surprise meet
- Impressive fireball lights up Spain's Costa del Sol night sky
- Trash is dumped on woman's door step after she fails to pay
- Syria: Footage emerges of Russian special forces 'fighting ISIS'
- Feliks Zemdegs breaks Rubik's cube speed-solving world record
- Horrifying moment woman is kicked down the stairs by stranger
- Drag race ends in Lamborghini crashing into other cars
- Brave 12-year-old punches armed robber in the stomach
- Documentary director attacked by gang of immigrants in Stockholm
- Hunters forced to shoot a wild bear dead as it charges towards them