Former X Factor star Aiden Grimshaw is banned from the roads after being caught at twice the drink drive limit when he drove away from a gig singing at his local golf club
- Aiden Grimshaw, 25, appeared on the hit show in 2010 along with One Direction
- He was caught at twice drink-driving limit when he left a gig at his local golf club
- He has been banned from driving for 20 months and was fined £120
Aiden Grimshaw, 25, who appeared on the hit show in 2010 along with One Direction, has been banned from driving for 20 months
A former X-Factor singer has been banned from driving for 20 months after he was caught at twice the drink-driving limit when he left a gig at his local golf club.
Aiden Grimshaw, 25, who appeared on the hit show in 2010 along with One Direction, was breathalysed in Blackpool after his VW car was seen parked at an angle on a grass verge.
He had been playing at the golf club [that was not named in court], where he drank two and a half pints.
He had parked his car there and did not know whether he could leave it overnight.
He decided to move it but his battery went flat and so he had to pull onto the grass in Forest Gate, where police found him at 1.35am on November 28.
Grimshaw, who is reportedly collaborating with Zayn Malik for an upcoming album, was found to have 75 microgrammes of alcohol in his body - the legal limit is 35.
He was fined £120 and must pay £115 court costs, Blackpool Magistrates' Court ruled.
Suzanne Mugford, defending, said the 25-year-old was a professional musician who was trying to re-launch his career.
She added: 'The driving ban will hit him hard as he regularly drove to and from his home to London.'
Grimshaw was mentored by Dannii Minogue, but was voted out in week six in favour of the eccentric Katie Waissel
The singer was caught at twice the drink-driving limit and banned from driving for 20 months, Blackpool Magistrates' Court (pictured) ruled
Grimshaw is signed with RCA Records, the same record label Malik joined in July last year.
The pair were reportedly close while on the show six years ago, but drifted apart after One Direction found global success.
Grimshaw was mentored by Dannii Minogue, but was voted out in week six in favour of the eccentric Katie Waissel.
The seventh series was won by Matt Cardle, with Rebecca Ferguson runner-up and One Direction third.
Following the X Factor, Grimshaw's debut EP Misty Eye was released in 2012, making it to number 19 on the UK charts, followed by the Aiden EP in 2013.
Most watched News videos
- Caught on camera: Checkout line fight erupts over couponing
- Drag race ends in Lamborghini crashing into other cars
- Angry motorist challenges traffic warden over 'illegal parking'
- Couponing mom attacked inside store for holding up the line
- Amir Khan's wife Faryal Makhdoom snapchats an 'apology'
- Real-life Amazon Drone delivery begin trials with no human pilot
- Faryal Makhdoom shares glam videos on Instagram
- Huge 7 stone dog has adorable bark that sounds like hiccup
- 'Scumbag unions': Chants outside Brighton rail station
- Poor cat has it's head pushed into the snow by cheeky dog!
- 'Growing Pains' actor Alan Thicke dead at age 69
- Feliks Zemdegs breaks Rubik's cube speed-solving world record