'There was feathers and blood everywhere': Boy's shock after being hit in the FACE by bird on world's tallest rollercoaster
A 12-year-old New Jersey boy suffered a freak accident when a pigeon hit him in the face as he was riding the world's tallest rollercoaster.
Shane Matus, of Howell Township, was riding in the front car of the 128 mph Kingda Ka rollercoaster at Six Flags in Jackson Township when the unfortunate bird slammed into his face.
'When it hit me I was like, ‘What the-? Did somebody throw a ball or something?’ When I started spitting out feathers, I was like, that was a bird,' said Shane.
Scroll Down for Video
Shane Matus suffered bruising and scratches to his face after being hit by a pigeon while riding the world's tallest rollercoaster at the Six Flags theme park in New Jersey
Colliding with the bird as they approached the station, Shane suffered extensive bruising and scratches to his face.
'They say the bird exploded,' said Shane.
'It hurt a lot for like three seconds. People behind us had feathers and blood all over them.'
Luckily for Shane he was distracted by a car alarm in a neighbouring parking lot seconds before the bird hit him.
'If that car alarm didn’t go off, it would’ve hit me dead in the eye,' said Shane.
The Kingda Ka rollercoaster rises to a height of 456 feet and hurtles at speeds of up to 128 mph
Shane's injuries were clear to see after the bird collision which occurred on Thursday at 5 p.m.
The 456-foot-tall Kingda Ka rollercoaster was shut for 30 minutes in the aftermath of the accident as officials examined the cause of the accident.
Shane was taken to hospital along with his aunt, while his father, Adam Matus, made his way to see his son.
Shane has not been deterred from riding on a rollercoaster again. However, he will no longer sit at the front
'I couldn’t believe it,' said Adam. 'I mean what kind of freak accident is this?'
A spokesperson for Six Flags called the accident a freak of nature and said nothing like this had ever happened before.
NBC10 asked Shane if he would ever go on the roller coaster again. 'Yeah,' Shane replied. 'But not in the front.'
In 1999 Fabio was hit in the face by a goose while riding a roller coaster at Busch Gardens
In 1999 Italian male-model Fabio was
famously photographed after a goose hit his face while riding the
Apollo's Chariot at Bush Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Most watched News videos
- Girl shouts at her poor Grandpa over her iPhone appointment
- Angela Rye shares video of her invasive ordeal with TSA agent
- BMW driver tries to ram car off the road after slip lane mishap
- Group of killer whales prowl seas and attack shark
- Prisoner batters officer who finds him recording show on laptop
- Koala covered in burrs gets his fur groomed in adorable video
- Kung Fu truck driver gets revenge on man who stole his phone
- Notre Dame player surprised by brother's military homecoming
- Male guests in a Chinese wedding flock to harass a bridesmaid
- CCTV shows Rebels bikie gunman moments before shooting
- Adorable baby pug takes his first bath and enjoys it SO MUCH
- Baby 'sings' Christmas carol - with a little help from daddy
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.