Shinji Kagawa close to sealing return to Borussia Dortmund as former club save him from Manchester United nightmare
- Shinji Kagawa, 25, is set to complete his £million move back to Borussia Dortmund, potentially rising to £8million
- The midfielder moved to Old Trafford from Dortmund in July 2012 in a deal worth £12million
- Injuries stunted the Japan midfielder's time at Manchester United
Shinji Kagawa will arrive in Germany on Friday afternoon to put the finishing touches to an £8million return to Borussia Dortmund.
Sportsmail can reveal that a four-year contract has been presented to the out-of-favour Manchester United midfielder and that he was close to reaching agreement on it as he prepared to fly to Dortmund for a medical.
One or two personal details still have to be ironed out but Kagawa is confident they would not prevent him returning to the Westfalenstadion.
VIDEO Scroll down to watch Shinji Kagawa get a soaking during Ice Bucket Challenge
Better times: Shinji Kagawa moved from Borussia Dortmund to Manchester United in the July 2012
Struggle: The 25-year-old failed to impress the three managers he worked for at Old Trafford
Jurgen Klopp repeatedly made it clear Kagawa would be welcomed back with open arms, and the Dortmund boss will get his wish after an unhappy spell at Old Trafford for the attacking midfielder.
He struggled to make his mark after being signed by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2012 for £12million - plus £5million add-ons - and became even more marginalised under David Moyes last season.
When it became clear chances would continue to be limited under current manager Louis van Gaal, Dortmund seized their chance to lure him back with an offer of €8million up front, with a further two million to follow in add-ons.
Sportsmail revealed last year how Klopp responded to a tearful farewell by Kagawa in the Dortmund dressing room by draping an arm round him and telling him the door was always open, should his United venture not go to plan.
It remained in the forefront of Kagawa's thoughts and made a Dortmund reunion his preferred option, despite interest from Valencia.
Summer signing: Sir Alex Ferguson (centre) signed Kagawa (left) from Dortmund in July 2012 for £12million
Tough time: Kagawa failed to impress David Moyes during his tenure at Manchester United
German success: Kagawa holds the German cup after Dortmund's victory against Bayern Munich in 2012
Most watched Sport videos
- Ronda Rousey and Amanda Nunes weigh-in for big UFC 207 fight
- Career shift? Dizzee Rascal spars with boxer Chris Eubank Jr
- David Luiz, Nathaniel Chalobah and Ola Aina show off dance moves
- Arsenal player Shkodran Mustafi works out with kettlebells
- What a foul!: Alejandro Gomez kicks his son while playing
- Arturo Vidal shows off jaw dropping beach trick during holiday
- Conte sports expensive watch while discussing Liverpool game
- Moment Chiefs security guard dives to tackle a Broncos fan
- Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to winning UEFA Player of the year
- Ana Ivanovic announces tennis retirement to her fans on Facebook
- Plane banter: Diego Costa plays a trick on team physio Marcelo
- John Terry: Chelsea star shares training session on Instagram
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.