Arsenal keep tabs on Spurs target Morata as Wenger eyes January loan move for Madrid's young striker
Arsenal are being kept updated on the availability of Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata.
The 21-year-old striker, who is also a target for Tottenham, may be allowed to leave on loan in January.
And Arsenal, who are also watching Schalke’s talented 18-year-old midfielder Max Meyer, are interested in the Spain Under 21 forward as they look to bolster their forward options in the new year.
VIDEO: Scroll down for video of Morata scoring against Almeria
On target: Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata celebrates after scoring against Almeria on Saturday
Fine company: Morata is congratulated by team-mates Alvaro Arbeloa, Jese and Gareth Bale
ALVARO MORATA 2013-14
August 18 Real Madrid 2 - 1 Real Betis
September 14 Villarreal 2 - 2 Real Madrid
September 22 Real Madrid 4 - 1 Getafe
September 25 Elche 1 - 2 Real Madrid
September 28 Real Madrid 0 - 1 Atl Madrid
October 2 Real Madrid 4 - 0 FC Copenhagen October 5 Levante 2 - 3 Real Madrid (1 goal)
October 19 Real Madrid 2 - 0 Malaga
October 23 Real Madrid 2 - 1 Juventus
November 9 Real Madrid 5 - 1 Sociedad November 23 Almeria 0 - 5 Real (1 goal)
Morata has scored twice in 11 appearances this season but manager Carlo Ancelotti is only prepared to let him go if Madrid can sign a new striker.
Luis Suarez and Robert Lewandowski are the sort of calibre player that Madrid are looking for and the former wanted to join them in the summer.
According to rumours in the Spanish capital, if Madrid can sign a new striker then the door will be open for Morata's loan move.
The Gunners are short on options up front, while Spurs are desperate to boost a strikeforce in which the lead man is Roberto Soldado, who has not performed well after signing for £26million this summer.
Morata was on target for Madrid on Saturday when they beat Almeria 5-0, with Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Isco and Karim Benzema also on the scoresheet for Ancelotti's side.
VIDEO: Morata's delightful chip against Almeria
Target: Arsenal are also monitoring the progress of Schalke youngster Max Mayer (left)
Weighing up his options: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could move to bolster his strikeforce in January
Most watched Sport videos
- Ronda Rousey and Amanda Nunes weigh-in for big UFC 207 fight
- David Luiz, Nathaniel Chalobah and Ola Aina show off dance moves
- Career shift? Dizzee Rascal spars with boxer Chris Eubank Jr
- Moment Chiefs security guard dives to tackle a Broncos fan
- Arturo Vidal shows off jaw dropping beach trick during holiday
- Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to winning UEFA Player of the year
- Arsenal player Shkodran Mustafi works out with kettlebells
- What a foul!: Alejandro Gomez kicks his son while playing
- Conte sports expensive watch while discussing Liverpool game
- Plane banter: Diego Costa plays a trick on team physio Marcelo
- He's Bad!: Man U's Jesse Lingard dances like Michael Jackson
- John Terry: Chelsea star shares training session on Instagram