Southampton's determination to keep want-away midfielder Victor Wanyama from Tottenham could cost £213,000 a week
- Victor Wanyama has told Southampton that he wants to leave the club
- But Saints are reluctant to do business with little time for a replacement
- Wanyama is valued at £18million and is on £40,000 a week in wages
Southampton's refusal to sell Victor Wanyama to Tottenham could cost the club £213,000 a week.
Southampton have rebuffed Tottenham enquiries for the Kenyan who has told the club he wants to leave.
He has two years left on contract on wages of around £40,000 a week and Southampton value him at around £18million.
Victor Wanyama (right) wants to leave Southampton but the club are reluctant to sell anyone at this time
Wanyama (right) has been linked with Tottenham and a reunion with ex-Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino
Wanyama (left) is on £40,000 a week at Southampton and has two years left on his contract at the club
Should the Kenya international sit tight, see out his contract and leave for free in two years time it would effectively cost the club £213,000 a week. That's his proposed £18m valuation over two years - which works out at £173,000 a week - plus his £40,000 wages.
The 24-year-old played in today's 0-0 draw with Watford but is unhappy at Southampton and has made his feelings clear to manager Ronald Koeman.
Tottenham are keen to sign the defensive midfielder and reunite him with his former manager Mauricio Pochettino.
However, Southampton are reluctant to sell with a week remaining in the transfer window to find a suitable replacement.
Most watched Sport videos
- Ronda Rousey and Amanda Nunes weigh-in for big UFC 207 fight
- David Luiz, Nathaniel Chalobah and Ola Aina show off dance moves
- Moment Chiefs security guard dives to tackle a Broncos fan
- Career shift? Dizzee Rascal spars with boxer Chris Eubank Jr
- Arturo Vidal shows off jaw dropping beach trick during holiday
- Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to winning UEFA Player of the year
- Arsenal player Shkodran Mustafi works out with kettlebells
- What a foul!: Alejandro Gomez kicks his son while playing
- Plane banter: Diego Costa plays a trick on team physio Marcelo
- Conte sports expensive watch while discussing Liverpool game
- He's Bad!: Man U's Jesse Lingard dances like Michael Jackson
- Moment boy opens Christmas gift to discover he's been adopted
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.