Cristiano Ronaldo claims overseas award at BBC Sports Personality of the Year after Real Madrid superstar's incredible 2014
- Cristiano Ronaldo named overseas BBC Sports Personality of the Year
- Portuguese forward led Real Madrid to Champions League glory in May
- The 29-year-old has scored an astonishing 61 goals in 58 games in 2014
- Ronaldo was presented with the award by Real team-mate Gareth Bale
- They both appeared on the BBC show via video link from Morocco
- READ: Lewis Hamilton wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year award
Yet another award fell at Cristiano Ronaldo’s twinkling feet on Sunday night, when he was named BBC Overseas Personality of the Year.
On an evening in Glasgow populated by the royalty of Scottish sport - mostly handing out the prizes, though in the case of Sir Chris Hoy awarded one himself - as well as British prince, the glitziest sports star on display was the Portuguese striker with the slicked-back hair.
Ronaldo joined us on the video from Morocco, where Real Madrid are training for the World Club Cup.
Cristiano Ronaldo holds his Overseas Sports Personality of the Year Award on Sunday night
Ronaldo's Real Madrid team-mate Gareth Bale (left) presented him with the award in Morocco
The Portuguese star was not present to receive his award in person but sent a video message of thanks in
Cristiano Ronaldo (centre) arrives in Morocco ahead of the Club World Cup tournament for Real Madrid
Ronaldo celebrates after scoring Real's fourth goal against Almeria on Friday night
Gareth Bale (right) and Ronaldo celebrate after the Champions League semi-final victory over Bayern Munich
Ronaldo (right) runs off in celebration having scored a penalty during the Champions League final
The Portuguese scores a sublime goal against Liverpool at Anfield in the Champions League
Ronaldo celebrates in front of the Liverpool fans at Anfield after scoring the winner for Real
RONALDO'S MAGNIFICENT 2014
Games (club and country): 58
Trophies: Champions League, Copa del Rey
Team-mate Gareth Bale presented the award to his fellow and greatest Galactico, who this year scored his 200th goal in 178 games.
His 23 hat-tricks are a La Liga record.
The highlight of his and the team’s season was Real’s 10th European Cup triumph, with the help of his 17 goals.
Ronaldo holds aloft his Balon d'Or prior to Real's match against Granada at the Bernabeu in January
Ronaldo scores a penalty against Barcelona in El Clasico in October at the Bernabeu
The 29-year-old (centre) celebrates with James Rodriguez (right) after scoring in the UEFA Super Cup
Ronaldo celebrates after scoring Real's second goal against Celta Viga in La Liga on December 6
Ronaldo told the BBC upon receiving the award from team-mate Bale: 'Thank you to the BBC for choosing me.
'It is a great honour to receive this award.
Thank you to all my old fans in England, it is an honour.
And only this weekend he presented all his team-mates with watches, each worth £6,000, engraved with La Decima in honour of their unparalleled achievement.
There were the inevitable delays on the line as the show crossed to Morocco to chat to Ronaldo, a nostalgic echo of the days when Des Lynam spoke to the likes of Frank Bruno across the Atlantic. You know what I mean?
Alvaro Arbeloa (right) was the first to show off his £6,000 watch, posting on social media site Instagram
Ronaldo (left) runs with the ball for Portugal during a friendly against Argentina at Old Trafford
The Real forward holds the match ball aloft after scoring four goals against Elche in September
Most watched Sport videos
- Guardiola speaks following Manchester City's 1-0 defeat at Anfield
- Amanda Nunes sprays champagne after win over Rousey
- PHENOMENAL! Mourinho happy with Man Utd performance against Boro
- Klopp praises Liverpool's defensive work against Manchester City
- On camera. Lifeboat helps rescue man from burning boat
- Ronda Rousey and Amanda Nunes weigh-in for big UFC 207 fight
- Wenger says 'No-one will forget Giroud's goal'
- Epic water bottle flip from a curly haired little girl
- Chelsea's Chalobah takes a break in Paris with his girlfriend
- David Luiz, Nathaniel Chalobah and Ola Aina show off dance moves
- David Haye and pals talk about shock Ronda Rousey defeat
- Michael Bisping agrees Tyron Woodley UFC fight at 180lbs
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.