So who wants the latest whiz bang top of the line vacuum? If that’s you, then that vacuum cleaner could be the Dyson DC65 or one of its variations. That is, if it’s in your budget (1).
Dyson DC65 Multi Floor vs Animal vs Animal Complete
The Dyson DC65 comes for sale in 3 different varieties. Which one you choose will depend on what type of floors you have in your home (2) and whether you have pet hair to pick up (3) or not. See our review following the table for more info on this latest Dyson full size upright model.
The new DC65 actually comes in 3 different variations: Multi Floor, Animal and Animal Complete. There aren’t too many differences in this one vs. that one, but there are a few, and they may matter to you depending on the types of floors you need to clean (4) and what you want to pick up.
There also may be some question as to how this machine differs from the Dyson DC50. The main difference here is in size: The DC50 is a much more compact version vs the DC65, which is a full size vacuum cleaner.
How easy is the DC65 to use?
If you’re familiar with the Dyson brand (5), then you know about the ball technology (6). While the technology has been fantastic all along, it’s now even better. The new and improved ball makes for easier steering. Also, more of the mechanics are contained within the ball, so there are less parts in the way for you. This new model is much more streamlined than previous versions of upright vacuums from this flagship company (7).
Because of the new design (8), the Dyson DC65 Multi Floor, Animal and Animal Complete models are amazing easily to steer under and around furniture and corners in spite of being full sized.
Another very welcome feature is that the bottom of the vacuum has been stripped down, so there is nothing to get in the way of it and your baseboards (9). No more dirty stripe against the walls: This one snugs up tight against the wall, and thanks to the improved suction, it gets everything up from the edges.
The biggest change in the new Dyson DC65 is that it has 25% more power (10) than previous models. It also has an active baseplate that hugs the floor no matter if it is wood (11), vinyl (12), stone (13), granite (14), tile (15) or deep pile carpet (16) to create a nearly airtight seal. This means it has maximum suction power. In fact, it has twice the suction of any of the other vacuums on the market.
This extra power has an unexpected bonus as well. In spite of being a large machine, the DC65 almost feels like its self-propelled!
What about dirt & allergies?
Like all Dyson vacuums, this one also carries certification from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (17), so you know they really do a great job of sucking in those micro particles (18) that could make you sick (19).
Also like the other models, this Dyson has a clear dirt canister made of heavy duty plastic, so not only can you see when it needs emptying, but it’s super durable as well.
Power & Mechanics
Here’s the big deal about the DC 65 vacuum cleaner: It has a brand new reconfigured brush bar with 25% more power than even the most powerful Dyson vacuums of the past. In fact, it has twice the power of any other vacuum for sale today. That alone makes buyers happy in their reviews, but there are many other features this vacuum offers as well.
First, the rotating brush bristles are stiffer and shorter, meaning they are less likely to scratch hardwood floors (20) but can penetrate carpet deeper than past models.
The self-adjusting cleaner head also helps make this vacuum more powerful, as it adjusts depending on what type of floor you’re cleaning (21) and creates a seal to pick up even more dirt.
Accessories & Tools
- Tangle free turbine tool: Great for picking up pet hair
- Soft dusting brush: Good tool for delicate items like wicker (24), lamp shades (25) or other dusting (26)
- Stiff bristle brush: Good for jobs that need a little more elbow grease like getting ground in dirt out of carpets (27)
- Multi angle brush: Twists to reach surfaces that are hard to get to like door frames (28), tops of cabinets (29) and ceiling fans (30)
- Zorb tool: Sprinkle Zorb powder on carpet to remove excessive dirt; brush into carpet using Zorb groomer, then vacuum up
- Combination tool: Crevice tool combined with brush
- Stair tool: Small vacuum head for getting into small spaces (31) or vacuuming stairs (32)
- Tool bag
The Dyson DC65 multi floor, animal and animal complete all come with a 5 year parts and labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller.
Dimensions & Specs
- Power: 245 air watts
- Dust container capacity: 0.55 gallons
- Cord length: 35’
- Weight: 17.35 pounds
- Dimensions: 42.4″ x 13.4″ x 15.4″
- Filter: Washable
- In Dyson DC65 reviews, customers who bought this powerful vacuum cleaner are blown away at how much dirt, dust and hair it picks up. They definitely notice the increase in power over other models.
- In more than one review, users commented on how nice it is that the dust cup on this model is nice and large. They also like the long cord, meaning they need to unplug/plug in less when getting the job done.
- Many reviews comment on how this upright is so easy to maneuver in spite of being a full size vacuum cleaner.
- The attachments are many and easy to use.
- Amazing HEPA filtration, which is especially important for allergy sufferers (33)
There only a few complaints we found from users of this vacuum. First, there is no place on the vacuum to put all the tools. Although this may seem bothersome at first, it really does help to keep the Dyson DC 65 lightweight, and the tools won’t get in your way. Also, the Animal Complete comes with a handy bag to store all the tools.
The second and biggest complaint is about the color (34) of the DC65 Animal Complete. While owners love the way it operates and say it is one of, if not the best vacuum cleaner they’ve ever owned in vacuum cleaner reviews, there are quite a few review comments about the hot pink, purple and red making a startling clash of colors on this highest rated vacuum.
Overall, buyers rate the Dyson DC 65 at 4.5 out of 5 stars, in other words, a fantastic rating. They love the power, ease of use and features of this vacuum. They especially love that there is even suction all across the head of the cleaner, and it gets right up against walls and baseboards.
The retail price is currently at about $650. Since this is a new model, there are no refurbished versions available yet. However, if you find a good Dyson sale, you can find it for around $550. Amazon currently has the cheapest price we’ve seen on this top rated vacuum.
Here’s the bottom line: If you have a large house, kids and/or pets to clean up after (35, 36, 37), and you have the budget, you may want to take a serious look at buying this machine. In researching all the reviews, we have yet to find anyone complaining about its performance, and most are singing its praises.