Body found naked and washed up under Florida causeway is likely that of a missing 9-year-old girl
- Felecia Williams was last seen at a friend's apartment complex Friday afternoon
- Two fisherman found the body of a young girl was up near a causeway on Saturday
- Police suspect the body is that of Williams
- The girl's mother says she was getting her hair done when her daughter called and asked to go to the apartment of a family friend
- The friend says she was in the shower when Felecia disappeared
Authorities in Florida say a naked body found in the water under a causeway in Tampa Bay might be that of a 9-year-old girl who has been missing since Friday afternoon.
Felecia Williams was reported missing after a family friend took her to her apartment complex while the girl's mother was at a hair appointment.
Tampa police and police from Temple Terrace searched the complex with K-9 units but there was no sign of the missing girl.
Police say a body found under a causeway is that of 9-year-old Felecia Williams, who was reported missing Friday afternoon
About 3:30 p.m. Saturday, fisherman at the Courtney Campbell Causeway called 9-1-1 and reported seeing a body floating near the shore below them.
On Saturday night, Temple Terrace police announced that the body they found was likely Felecia, Fox13 reported.
'We don't know what occurred here yet,' Temple Terrace police spokesman Michael Dunn told Tampabay.com. 'That is still under investigation.'
Police won't make a positive ID until an autopsy is performed, which will likely take place on Sunday.
The little girl's disappearance is unusual for several reasons.
Discovery: Two fisherman found the body washed up on the shore of the causeway Saturday afternoon
Felecia's mother, Felecia Demerseon, said in an interview that she was getting her hair done when her daughter called to ask if she could go home with a former neighbor and family friend who now lives in another part of Tampa Bay.
However, 40-year-old Demerson says she didn't know the friend's last name, but said that her daughter had visited the woman in the past.
The friend and the little girl went to a fast-food restaurant and then to the apartment complex.
According to Tampabay.com, the friend told police that she went to take a shower and left Felecia in front of a TV watching a movie.
When she came out of the shower, she said Felecia was gone.
Authorities have not identified the family friend, but say that she does in fact exist and is cooperating with the investigation.
Leads: Police say they are following up on several leads to figure out what happened to the little girl
It wasn't until five hours after Felecia was last seen that the family friend called 9-1-1 or the girl's mother.
'She told me she hoped to find her before calling me,' Demerson said.
'I'm sitting here hoping there will be good news,' Demerson said Saturday morning. 'I know my baby. She would call her mama if she could.'
Demerson said there was another adult at the apartment when Felecia was there. That person, Demerson claims, was in a bedroom and never saw the girl.
'Felecia would never, never, just leave," her 24-year-old sister, Shakelia Givens, said. 'She would never, never wander off. … She wouldn't just leave. There was no reason for her to just up and leave.''
Most watched News videos
- Mum is so embarrassing! Barron Trump snatches hand away from Melania
- Madonna drops f-bombs at Women's March in D.C.
- What was Bill Clinton staring at at Trump's inauguration?
- Scarlett Johansson gives emotional speech at Women's March
- Coalition warplanes take out Islamic State fleet in Mosul
- White House angrily claim inauguration crowd largest ever
- She's got some front!: Busty TV contestant exposes her breast
- Ashley Judd delivers 'Nasty Woman' poem at Women's March
- Barron Trump plays peek-a-boo with nephew Theo
- President Trump and Melania share the first dance
- Woman bangs on car and racially abuses woman for wearing niqab
- Obamas welcome the Trumps to the White House