'Drugs nearly killed me', Elton John tells Piers Morgan
Sir Elton John was 'very close' to being killed by drugs, he says in a television interview tonight.
When he looks back, he shudders at his behaviour, he says.
Interviewer Piers Morgan asks him: 'How close did drugs come to killing you, do you think?'
Confession: Rock legend Elton John talks to Piers Morgan about his incredible life in music and confesses the extent of his drug addiction
The pop star says: 'Very close. I mean, I would have an epileptic seizure and turn blue, and people would find me on the floor and put me to bed, and then 40 minutes later I'd be snorting another line.
'This is how bleak it was, I'd stay up, I'd smoke joints, I'd drink a bottle of Johnnie Walker and then I'd stay up for three days and then I'd go to sleep for a day and a half, get up, and because I was so hungry, because I hadn't eaten anything, I'd binge and have like three bacon sandwiches, a pot of ice cream and then I'd throw it up, because I became bulimic and then go and do the whole thing all over again. That is how tragic my life was.
'And I'm not being flippant when I say that, when I look back I shudder at the behaviour and what I was doing to myself ... it just takes over your whole psyche, this stuff.
Rocket Man: Elton John in concert in 1972
'I never considered myself a drug addict, I thought drug addicts were people who stuck needles in their arms. And I was the biggest junkie there was.'
Sir Elton John with his long-term partner David Furnish
The star renews his attack on the X Factor. Asked by Morgan why he had described the show as brain crippling and boring, he says: 'I can't watch those kind of shows. I find it very disturbing for me from the artists' point of view.
'I'm totally on the artists' side, anybody who appears on the show, whether they've got much talent or not, if they win it, I wonder what's going to become of them, are they just fodder for two years until the next Leona Lewis comes along, or the next Alexandra Burke. Why aren't they going on tour? What's happening? They can't survive, I know, by just making records.
'It's the cart before the horse. When I got a record contract in the
old days, you had to go on tour to get a record contract. You had to be
good live. And now you can go on television and sing well, but you have
no real experience of doing shows.'
Asked what is the most he
has spent in a single spree, he says: 'Well, I bought a photograph for
a million dollars, and that was a photograph. It was a Man Ray and I've
been collecting photography now since 1991 and David (Furnish) and I
have properly the biggest private collection of photography and I'm
very serious about it. I don't talk about it much."
- Piers Meets Elton: A Life Stories Special, is on ITV1 at 9.30pm today.
Most watched News videos
- Danielle Bregoli throws punches while boarding Spirit Airways
- Cameraman 'zooms in' on woman's breasts in 'see-through' swimsuit
- Caught on camera: Bystanders watch topless men fighting in street
- Moment Lindsay Hoyle and Alex Salmond scream at each other
- Danielle Bregoli discusses fighting a 'crack head' with her mom
- 'I don't take no s***': Bus driver kicks drunk man off bus
- Watch Barack Obama wipe out in kite surfing battle
- McConnell blocks Warren from reading letter from MLK's wife
- Footage shows hostile environment that Alexander Blackman endured
- Melissa McCarthy nails screeching Sean Spicer on SNL
- Danielle went viral after appearing on Dr Phil in 2016
- Moment woman pops open her shirt by flexing her boobs
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.