Tokyo vending machine sells STAG BEETLE as a snack - and at nearly £4, it isn't cheap
Japan has a reputation as a country which revels in the finest of cuisine.
This, after all, is the nation which gave the world the culinary delights of sushi – where the choicest cuts of fish are spliced with sticky rice.
Food for thought: A giant stag beetle is among the 'temptations' in this Tokyo vending machine
And for those who want a little tipple to wash down their dinner, Japan has an improving record for producing some of the planet’s best whisky.
But you might want to take care next time you peer into a vending machine in Tokyo.
Because you never know – rather than refreshing soft drinks or sugary chocolate bars, the contents might include cans of old fruit and what appears to be a giant beetle.
This frankly unappetising snack was captured on camera by a visitor who ventured into the Adachi district of the Japanese capital.
This slightly northerly area of town sits just outside the centre of the city, with its famous flashing lights, jumble of pedestrians and neon billboards.
But this unpalatable insect seems rather more like a morsel from the medieval era than the sort of gourmet fare you might find in a 21st century metropolis.
And at the cost listed, this unlikely stomach-filler does not even count as a cheap desperation measure for the very hungry passer-by.
It is priced at 630 Japanese yen – about £3.75 at today’s exchange rate. Or well over six US dollars.
Bright lights, big city: Tokyo in its rather more 21st century guise
With its distinctive protruding jaws, the creature seems to be a large stag beetle – or kuwagata-mushi, in Japanese.
Some stag beetles can grow to 12cm in length.
On second thoughts, we aren’t hungry. We’ll hang on for a plate of sashimi.
Most watched News videos
- Moment bus driver stops to talk a suicidal woman off bridge
- UPS employee is surprised with a car from generous co-workers
- 'Possessed' man with face wound rants and raves in Brazilian hospital
- £1m home owner jabs neighbour's electrician with her walking stick
- Heartwarming moment little girl hears herself for the first time
- Dog plays dead and winds up his friend who barks in panic
- Josh Gad shines as LaFou in Disney's beauty and the Beast
- Shocking dolphin capture shows poachers terrorising young pod
- Truck goes airborne as it crashes during high speed chase
- Hospital staff scared by 'ghost of young child' on the ward
- Teenager jumps to his death after 'Snapchat video goes wrong'
- Teen wins play off game with full court buzzer beater