Just look at me now! Cheeky the shih tzu-poodle cross gets her bark back after owner's neglect meant her paws had to be amputated
- Shih-tzu cross, Cheeky, had to have paws amputated and teeth removed
- Derek Goldsmith didn't take animal to vet in case she was taken away
- The 64-year-old faces jail sentence after pleading guilty to animal cruelty
- Cheeky has since been re-homed and is adjusting to life on two paws
She was treated so badly her paws had to be amputated – but this dog has got her bark back since being rehomed.
Cheeky, a shih tzu-poodle cross, was so neglected the fur on her front paws matted and wound around her feet so tightly vets had to remove them.
The 14-year-old’s previous owner, Derek Goldsmith, now faces jail after pleading guilty to animal cruelty.
Scroll down for video of Cheeky
Cheeky, the Shih-tzu poodle cross, faced such horrific neglect her paws had to be amputated after becoming tightly wound by matted fur. She is now adjusting to life on her two stumps
Brighton Magistrates Court heard the
‘shih-poo’ suffered so long because Goldsmith, 64, feared she would be
taken from him if he took her to a vet.
Cheeky is now called Florence and has been rehomed with Karan Branagh, who said: ‘Florence is a little darling. She is doing very well and she can now walk on carpet and soft grass.’
Prosecuting David Buck told the court: 'Her paws had become detached. The vet said they'd been lost to strangulation.
Fourteen-year-old Cheeky also had to have her teeth removed after suffering severe dental problems. Her former owner avoided taking her to the vet in case she was taken away from him
Cheeky was rescued by the RSPCA when neighbours near her Brighton home reported her owner. David Goldsmith pleaded guilty to animal cruelty in court today
Brighton Magistrates' Court heard how though her former owner, Goldsmith, attempted to cut her hair, the dog wouldn't allow him near her
Goldsmith made no defence to charges of animal cruelty and will face sentencing next month
'Goldsmith tried to cut Cheeky's hair himself but she would not let him near her.
'She could not be taken out as she could not walk - he would play with her in the flat.
'He was aware the matting was affecting the animal's ability to move.'
He added: 'Goldsmith said he was scared because he thought they would take her away.'
The case has been adjourned until December for sentencing.
The dog who is now called Florence, has been taken in by a loving new owner who is helping her adapt to life on two paws.
Karan Branagh said: 'Florence is a little darling.
'She is doing very well and is adorable, and she can now walk on carpet and soft grass.'
RSPCA Inspector Tony Woodley said: 'Cheeky was in hospital for months and cost the RSPCA thousands.
'She was in a lot of pain. This was long term neglect.'
Most watched News videos
- Homeless man brought to tears following incredible transformation
- Dancing Prince seen talking to mystery woman at Verbier party
- Little girl is overcome with emotion as her dad meets her from school
- Train ploughs snow as it pulls into New York station
- Will's got the love! Prince William dances the night away
- Metro security guard fatally shoots suspected robber at bank in Rockford
- Good samaritan saves police deputy by shooting his attacker
- CCTV footage shows final movements of Danielle McLaughlin
- Epic punch-up between young men and women in fast food place
- Prince William dances the night away in a club in Verbier
- Gang brutally beats man in Brooklyn chicken shop
- Moment BBC crew get caught in chaos of Mount Etna eruption