Undertaker, 83, who fondled a woman's breasts moments before a funeral service faces jail
- Charles Ashton, a funeral director, admitted sexually assaulting woman
- Pensioner fondled kissed and fondled her breasts before funeral started
- Leeds Magistrates' Court heard behaviour was 'out of character' for him
- Ashton was previously a director of Castleford Rugby League football club
Charles Ashton, a funeral director, has admitted fondling a woman's breasts before the service
An octogenarian funeral director fondled a woman’s breasts minutes before a service, a court heard.
Charles Ashton, 83, could face jail for the assault in which he made a series of inappropriate comments about the woman’s figure before grabbing her.
The incident happened at the family funeral directors business which Ashton runs with his son.
The pensioner, who is a former director and chairman of Castleford Rugby League Football Club, pleaded guilty to sexual assault at Leeds magistrates’ court.
Robert Campbell, prosecuting, told the court: ‘There was a funeral about to take place and they were in a room [together] . . . He put his arm around her, kissed her on two occasions and fondled her breasts.’
Mr Campbell added: ‘He had also made inappropriate remarks about the size of her breasts.’
Stephen Swan, mitigating, asked for sentencing to be adjourned so that a report could be prepared into the circumstances of the case.
He added that the assault was out of character for Ashton.
Mr Swan said: ‘It is entirely out of character for this man who it’s fair to say is devastated about what’s happened. I think it’s a measure of him that he is so upset about what’s happened.’
Before leaving the hearing last week Ashton, of Castleford, West Yorkshire, told magistrates: ‘I am sorry to have troubled you.’
They warned that he could face jail for the offence.
Earlier this year an undertaker who poured flour over a neighbour’s Mercedes for blocking in his hearse was jailed.
Funeral director Julian Riley, 39, and Peter Elliot, 60, had argued for weeks over parking spaces after property developer Elliot bought a house opposite Riley’s business, a court heard.
In September 2013 Riley was caught on CCTV emptying a 2lb bag of self-raising flour over Mr Elliot’s black Mercedes E-320. A court heard it set ‘like cement’ in the rain and removing it scratched the car’s paint. Police arrested Riley after following a line of white powder.
The incident was said to be out of character for 83-year-old Ashton who could face jail for the sexual assault
Most watched News videos
- Trump exits oval office without signing executive orders on trade
- 'Give me my keys you c***!': Biker attacks cyclist for stealing
- Shocking video of truck dangerously swerving on highway
- Woman freaks out at restaurant and accuses couple of having sex
- Live boa constrictor studded with quills after porcupine attack
- Jaw-dropping moment a great white shark catches a seal
- Villepinte: Horrific moment of huge explosion at carnival in France
- Most adorable kitties get treats when they ring their bells
- Nick Kyrgios yells at crowd jeering him during clash with Federer
- Shocking moment of 'accidental explosion' at popular Paris carnival
- Maid hangs from window before dramatically falling seven floors
- Roger Federer's wife taunts Nick Kyrgios during Miami Open clash