'I didn't like the way I was acting': Neil Patrick Harris' husband David Burtka reveals he quit drinking for the sake of their twins
David Burtka, the husband of Neil Patrick Harris, said he's no longer drinking.
The 41-year-old actor-turned-celeb chef told the NY Daily News on Wednesday that he recently quit boozing, because 'it just didn't mix well' with him anymore.
'That's a big thing ... I didn't like the way I was acting and I think it was affecting me and I thought, "You know what? I owe it to myself, I owe it to my kids, to be there, 100 percent,"' the Dearborn, Michigan native told the paper at the Food Bank's Can-Do Awards.
No more booze: David Burtka, 41, the husband of Neil Patrick Harris, told the NY Daily News he recently quit drinking. He was snapped Wednesday at the Food Bank's Can-Do Awards in NYC
Burtka, who's been seen on American Horror Story: Freak Show, explained to the publication that he doesn't have the type of personality prone to doing things in moderation.
'I just think that, I'm not one of those people that can just have one drink or two drinks,' said Burtka, who met Harris, 43, on the set of How I Met Your Mother 13 years ago.
Family first: (L-R) Burtka, daughter Harper, Neil Patrick Harris and son Gideon were snapped in November at a screening of Moana in NYC. Burtka said his decision to cease drinking was for the twins
Power couple: Burtka and husband Neil Patrick Harris, 43, were snapped last week attending the musical In And Of Itself at NYC's Daryl Roth Theatre
Burtka admitted that challenges await him in show business - 'especially in this industry,' where the alcohol flows freely at industry functions.
'I'm around it all the time and I'm a chef as well, so it's really part of my world,' said Burtka, who wed Harris in a ceremony in Italy in September of 2014 after a decade of being a couple.
Beautiful memory: The men exchanged vows in Italy in 2014 following 10 years together
Sunrise: Burtka last fall tweeted a shot with his husband, set against a splendid background
Happy times: Harris posted a kind message celebrating an unofficial anniversary with his husband earlier this month, showing Burtka seated with their son Gideon
Burtka - who with Harris welcomed six-year-old twins Harper and Gideon via surrogate in October of 2010 - told the paper he hopes his newfound sobriety will stick.
Earlier this month, Harris took to Instagram to laud his longtime love, posting a shot of Burtka holding the couple's son Gideon.
'Thirteen years and one day ago, I crossed paths with the guy on the left. The adventures have never ceased. The love has never waned. The gifts are never ending,' he wrote. 'Happy Anniversary, @dbelicious. You're the best.'
Most watched News videos
- Model filming an underwater shoot is BITTEN by a shark in U.S
- Zoe Ball gives late boyfriend Billy Yates a kiss in London in January
- 'Er...actually' Abbott has yet another numbers blunder over losses
- The Conservative Party gain control of Gloucestershire
- 'Food bank visitors have Sky TV' - Question Time audience member
- CCTV shows suspects running after fight that led to man's death
- Philip Johnson blames Jeremy Corby for loss of Warwickshire seat
- Melania glows as she and Donald Trump return to NYC
- Obama unveils plans for Presidential library in Chicago
- They see me rolling: Hapless driver runs after drifting car
- Comedian says PM might have Alzheimer's after repeating herself
- White House Chief Usher Stephen Rochon on his everyday duties