'I had a really bad case of it': Stranger Things star Shannon Purser reveals OCD diagnosis... and gushes about how therapy has helped her
She made her acting debut in the Netflix series Stranger Things.
And Shannon Purser is using her platform to raise awareness on mental health and body positivity.¬†
The 20-year-old revealed to People¬†magazine while at Variety Power Of Young Hollywood event on Tuesday that she was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Scroll down for video¬†
Candid: Shannon Purser revealed to People during the Variety Power of Young Hollywood event that she has OCD; pictured at the bash in LA on Tuesday
The actress had 'a really, really bad case of it,' she told the publication.
Shannon clarified that it wasn't about being 'clean' or 'organized,' adding that 'that's really not what it is, especially not for everybody.'¬†
The Netflix star explained that it was about 'being super self-conscious to the point where it was debilitating.'¬†
Shannon noted that she 'didn't feel comfortable talking to people' and felt very 'hyper-aware.'
Beaming:¬†The actress said she had 'a really, really bad case of it,' she told the publication
She went to therapy to work through her diagnosis.
The star says 'there's a stigma surrounding' mental health, which she hopes to dispel.¬†
Shannon said: 'I think everybody should be in therapy,' adding that she 'will sing the praises of therapy.'¬†
The actress, who also starred on Riverdale, spoke to People about how helpful it has been 'to have somebody educated you can talk to.'
Smiling ear to ear:¬†She went to therapy to work through her diagnosis; she gushed about the power of therapy; pictured with Gaten Matarazzo at Variety's Power Of Young Hollywood bash
The TV star says that she used to feel 'very alone and weird' about not having 'have a typical body type.'
Shannon says that she's 'grown so much' since getting to 'a place of self-acceptance' while 'looking past all the insecurities' that she has.
She starred in five episodes of Stranger Things before lading a role on Riverdale as Ethel Muggs.¬†
In character: She starred in five episodes of Stranger Things before lading a role on Riverdale as Ethel Muggs; pictured on Stranger Things in 2016
Most watched News videos
- Tourists look on in shock as a dingy of migrants washes up
- Cyclist attacks thief after leaving bike unlocked for seconds
- Sunbathers shocked as migrants load onto beach from dingy
- Mysterious creature spotted in shallow mud pool
- Emergency services work on entering top deck of London bus crash
- Trump threatens North Korea with 'fire and fury' if provoked again
- Princess Diana's driver: Her death 'stirred things within me'
- 'They've been brought to justice': Council chief on sex gang
- Taylor Swift heads to court for DJ's alleged groping lawsuit
- Girl injured when boiling water was thrown on her at a sleepover
- Brotherly love! Sister needs comfort going through car wash
- Huge crowds of saluting North Koreans show loyalty to Kim Jong-un
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.