'That de-escalated quickly:' Woman is told to 'go straight to HR' after her boss gave her a suggestively-shaped VEGETABLE with a wink (but all was not as it seemed)
- New York screenwriter Zoë was given a zucchini by her boss at work
- She tweeted about the odd exchange - but some thought it was a sexual advance
- They urged her to sue or to go straight to her HR department
- But it was later revealed her boss is an 'older white woman' who is a gardener
A woman was told to sue for sexual harassment after tweeting that her boss winked at her while handing her a suggestively-shaped vegetable - but all was not as it seemed.
Screenwriter Zoë, from New York City, tweeted a picture of a large courgette - known as a zucchini in the US - and told her 3,000 followers that she was perplexed by the gift and the suggestive wink that accompanied it.
It quickly went viral, with many of her friends urging her to 'go straight to HR' or sue her boss as they presumed a man had inappropriately given her the vegetable.
But it later transpired that in fact an 'older white woman who takes pride in her garden' had given her the mini marrow.
Screenwriter Zoë tweeted her confusion when her female boss gave her a zucchini with a wink - but many presumed her boss was a man and that it was sexually inappropriate
This well-meaning follower urged Zoë to go 'straight to HR' and collect compensation for sexual harassment
An embarassed Zoë then had to clear up the confusion and confess her boss is an 'older white woman who takes pride in her garden'
Zoë had tweeted: 'My boss gave me a zucchini... like just plopped this **** on my desk and winked. What....'
The vegetable resembled the infamous 'aubergine' emoji, that has come to symbolise sex, or male genitalia.
So naturally, many of her followers presumed the gift was an unwanted sexual advance from a male boss, particularly as it was given with a wink.
A shamefaced Zoë then had to reveal who her boss really was in a follow-up tweet after being told to sue for sexual harassment.
Zoë's followers found the tale hilarious, and the post went viral
Zoë found the saga hilarious, and had to calm down some passionate women who were getting very upset at the perceived sexual advance
She later wrote: 'Wait lemme clear some **** up lmao my boss is an older white woman who takes pride in her garden, it was just the wink that did it.'
Her explanation went even more viral than the original tweet, with 16,000 people 'liking' the hilarious confession.
One said: 'Well that de-escalated quickly,' while another admitted 'I WAS SO WRONG'.
Zoë found the entire saga hilarious, and told one follower: 'Girl you and everyone else was CONVINCED I was boutta get this payment from HR.'
She retweeted some of the most passionate comments where friends were becoming outraged on her behalf, as well as the hilarious realisations when it dawned on them that a woman and not a man had given Zoë the vegetable.
Most watched News videos
- Tourists look on in shock as a dingy of migrants washes up
- Cyclist attacks thief after leaving bike unlocked for seconds
- Sunbathers shocked as migrants load onto beach from dingy
- Mysterious creature spotted in shallow mud pool
- Emergency services work on entering top deck of London bus crash
- Trump threatens North Korea with 'fire and fury' if provoked again
- Princess Diana's driver: Her death 'stirred things within me'
- 'They've been brought to justice': Council chief on sex gang
- Taylor Swift heads to court for DJ's alleged groping lawsuit
- Girl injured when boiling water was thrown on her at a sleepover
- Brotherly love! Sister needs comfort going through car wash
- Huge crowds of saluting North Koreans show loyalty to Kim Jong-un
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.