'They wanted the angry black guy': Bachelor in Paradise's DeMario Jackson opens up about Corinne Olympios sex scandal in new interview
- Bachelor In Paradise was forced into a mandatory shutdown after an anonymous producer filed a claim of sexual misconduct after observing DeMario Jackson and Corinne Olympios cavorting in a hot tub
- Allegations were made that the young woman was intoxicated and did not give her consent
- But after an investigation DeMario was cleared of all wrongdoing and the encounter was deemed consensual
- Now DeMario claims race played a role in the scandal
It was a scandal that almost sank Bachelor in Paradise.
And now DeMario Jackson is making sure that the full story is known in a very lengthy interview with The Hollywood Reporter.
The 30-year-old reality contestant detailed what really happened between himself and fellow contestant Corinne Olympios, and also weighed in on how race factored into to scandal.
Transparency: Bachelor in Paradise's DeMario Jackson detailed what really happened between himself and fellow contestant Corinne Olympios in a new interview
The show was forced into a mandatory shutdown after an anonymous producer filed a claim of sexual misconduct after observing Jackson and Olympios cavorting in a hot tub.
They both left the show after allegations of sexual misconduct called a halt to filming after just two weeks of production. An investigation found no evidence of wrong-doing
'I think people wanted it to be something different,' he said about the encounter with Corinne, 'they wanted the angry black guy and this little, innocent white girl. But it wasn't that.'
According to DeMario, if the two were the same race, 'we wouldn't even be having this discussion at all,' he stated, before adding that he harbors no ill-will toward Olympios and mostly blames misreporting for the scandal.
He also touched on some of the unfair assumptions members of the public made upon learning about the story in the press, without even bothering to watch the show or understand the circumstances.
Questionable claim: The show was forced into a mandatory shutdown after an anonymous producer filed a claim of sexual misconduct after observing Jackson and Olympios cavorting in a hot tub
Dramatic: The scandal almost sank Bachelor in Paradise, which had to suspend production after the initial allegations
'Unfortunately, we live in a society where the whole world is going to side with the woman, even when the story doesn't make sense,' he lamented.
'In this situation, I don't think people used common sense. You're on a multimillion-dollar set with 50 to 100-plus cameras, 300 workers and an entire production. I love how [castmate] Alex [Woytkiw] was giving the play-by-play with what was going on with me and Corinne when we were in the pool, because it showed all the production, all the people and the castmates watching. I was actually telling the truth, so I'm relieved.'
He also vented his frustration about how the scandal unfolded on set, as he was kept in the dark for most of the investigation.
Realistic: According to DeMario, if the two were the same race, 'we wouldn't even be having this discussion at all,' he stated, before adding that he harbors no ill-will toward Olympios (pictured) and mostly blames misreporting for the scandal
'When I spoke to production, I asked, "Did Corinne say something?" They said no. I asked, "Did I say something?" They said no. I said, "So why the f*** are we having this conversation?" This third-party who wasn't present and who didn't view the video can just say she wants to shut down the production? It didn't make sense to me.'
After deciding to leave the show, Jackson also confirmed that he still had his eye on Alexis Waters, though at the moment they still are just friends who both happen to live in LA.
'We're just taking it day by day. She's been my rock through all of this. My comedy relief, we went to Disneyland last week. She's been there through a very dark time. Nothing sexual or intimate, just being there,' he confirmed.
True love? After deciding to leave the show, Jackson also confirmed that he still had his eye on Alexis Waters (pictured), though at the moment they still are just friends who both happen to live in LA
Most watched News videos
- Panic after truck ploughs into crowds in Barcelona's tourist area
- Police officer appears to lay motionless on ground after attack
- Moment terror suspect in 'bomb-vest' gunned down by police
- Horror in the streets of Barcelona as bodies lay injured
- Moment shots fired in Spanish coastal town Cambrils
- Pedestrians treated on ground after truck crashes into crowd
- Crowds flee area after truck in Barcelona ploughs into pedestrians
- Judge Judy lets dog find its real owner inside court room
- Man appears to be arrested after terror attack in Barcelona
- Finland: People flee as 'attackers' go on 'stabbing rampage'
- Barcelona attack: Chaotic scenes after van crashes into pedestrians
- Astonishing footage shows a lioness jump and hug animal expert