Too much? Rapper 2 Chainz over accessorizes in flashy outfit in New York record store for new music campaign

By Eddie Kim

|

2 Chainz is perhaps hip-hop's hottest commodity right now.

His second record, B.O.A.T.S. II: Me Time, has produced three top-20 hits and a slew of collaborations with stars as diverse as Pharrell, Drake and Diplo.

And he's officially a top choice for rappers looking for a guest - 2 Chainz charges a cool $100,000 for a verse, according to Kanye West on BBC Radio's 1Xtra.

Midas touch: 2 Chainz donned his golden best while shooting for a Music Choice campaign in New York City on Thursday

Midas touch: 2 Chainz donned his golden best while shooting for a Music Choice campaign in New York City on Thursday

Feeling hungry? 2 Chainz, one of hip-hop's biggest foodies, recently released his own cookbook, Meal Time

Feeling hungry? 2 Chainz, one of hip-hop's biggest foodies, recently released his own cookbook, Meal Time

But 2 Chainz took a break from his music on Thursday to tackle a different task: Filming for Music Choice's Take Back Your Music Campaign, which he did at Other Music in New York City.

The ad campaign, which has featured Robin Thicke, Luke Bryan, A$AP Rocky and others, highlights Music Choice's library of music videos and digital music channels.

The 36-year-old rapper certainly dressed to impress: He donned a flashy hooded t-shirt emblazoned with two huge gold chains, some spotless white trousers and a pair of thick-rimmed sunglasses.

Back to the roots: 2 Chainz peruses some Al Green records at Other Music

Back to the roots: 2 Chainz peruses some Al Green records at Other Music

This one! He seems pretty happy with his record selection at the shoot

This one! He seems pretty happy with his record selection at the shoot

He didn't forget his namesake, of course: A thick gold chain and pendant hung from his neck.

But 2 Chainz, real name Tauheed Epps, recently revealed in a Rolling Stone interview that people don't know the secondary meaning behind his moniker.

'People think it means I wear two chains all the time,' he says. 'But it also means this is my second chance.'

Though he made a couple mixtapes under the name Tity Boy, the turnaround in his career came as he picked up a focused work ethic - inspired by Lil Wayne, who 2 Chainz opened for on a 2008 tour.

Flamboyant: 2 Chainz wore several pieces of heavy gold jewelry on the day - a chain (of course), a watch, some bracelets and a massive ring

Flamboyant: 2 Chainz wore several pieces of heavy gold jewelry on the day - a chain (of course), a watch, some bracelets and a massive ring

'Having a phone full of millionaires and not being one bothered the hell out of me,' the rapper says, referencing the peers that he saw and interacted with on a daily basis.

Eventually, his talent and effort came together, attracting attention from hip-hop's biggest names.

'Kanye would tell me that he was designing clothes listening to my music,' says 2 Chainz. 'Like, 'I made a scarf listening to that sh-t.''

All smiles! The 36-year-old is no doubt enjoying the fruits of his labour as of late

All smiles! The 36-year-old is no doubt enjoying the fruits of his labour as of late

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

Looks like he's wearing my old grandads Y- fronts on his head.

Click to rate     Rating   16

His album only sold 35k this week - down over 140k from his last album. He is NOT a "hot commodity".

Click to rate     Rating   34

vile

Click to rate     Rating   6

why is he only wearing one chain?? Gosh!!!

Click to rate     Rating   78

He's just so comical, I can't take him seriously! A nice guy though

Click to rate     Rating   54
Share this comment

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

You have 1000 characters left.
Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules.
For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy.
Terms