Jude Law's limited series The Young Pope gets spinoff as HBO and Sky greenlight The New Pope
HBO and Sky announced a follow-up to acclaimed limited series The Young Pope called The New Pope on Tuesday.
The show will be helmed by original creator Paolo Sorrentino and will be set in the modern Vatican as well.
However, there's no word yet on how it will connect the former series or whether Jude Law will reprise his role as Pope Pius XIII.
New direction: HBO and Sky announced a follow-up to Jude Law's The Young Pope called The New Pope on Tuesday; here the actor is seen in November
Sources say that a reappearance by Law in The New Pope, has not been ruled out according to Variety.
The New Pope screenplay is written by Sorrentino and Umberto Contarello.
'Just like The Young Pope, Sorrentino is writing the script for the new show, but it will have a different twist than what would be expected,' Sky Italia chief of content Andrea Scrosati said.
Questions linger: There's no word yet on how the new show will connect the former series or whether Jude Law will reprise his role as Pope Pius XIII
Sky Italia and HBO are partners in producing the series.
There are no details for the casting of the new series, but sources claim it may have entirely new actors in the vein of True Detective and FX's Fargo.
The cable network said the show will go into production in Italy in late 2018.
In The Young Pope, Law starred as the fictional first American pope, an outrageously conservative figurehead who seems hell-bent on turning the world of the Vatican upside down.
The world premiere of The Young Pope was on 3 September 2016 at the 73rd Venice Film Festival, the first time a television show was part of the program.
The cast of the 10-part series also included Diane Keaton, Silvio Orlando and James Cromwell.
Creative control: The show will be helmed by original creator Paolo Sorrentino and will be set in the modern Vatican as well
Most watched News videos
- Shocking body cam video shows Arizona cop shooting Daniel Shaver
- 'I'll f*****g slap you': Moment argument erupts on busy train
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Man rescues rabbit amidst intensifying flames from LA wildfire
- Sarah Sanders: Trump slurred words because his 'throat was dry'
- Adult movie star August Ames posts videos of her cat on Instagram
- ISIS fighters scream in panic before being blown up in Syria
- Mother in shock after daughters surprise return from Australia
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: Dad beats young girl then shaves her head
- Adorable moment lioness shares huge cuddle with caretaker
- PM: 'Significant improvement has been made in best interests of UK'
- Moment Charlie Pearce hides behind a car to avoid a police car