Has Kate Middleton chosen her wedding dress designer? Bookies close bets as 'all the money was on Bruce Oldfield'
Smart money: A wedding dress by Bruce Oldfield, who is favourite to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress
Since Prince William announced his engagement to Kate Middleton, the subject of her wedding dress has been a hot topic. Will it be Brazilian-born Issa designer Daniella Helayel? Or perhaps classic bridal label Phillipa Lepley?
Now bookmakers have received the strongest indication yet that a designer for the gown has been chosen.
Paddy Power has received so many wagers on Bruce Oldfield to design the Royal wedding dress, it has suspended betting.
A spokesman from the bookmaker told Vogue.com this morning that it was no point taking bets when all the interest was in one person, and hinted that the surge in interest could be the result of a leak.
'We suspended betting on November 26,' he said. 'We were receiving one-way traffic for Bruce Oldfield and there is no point in taking bets when all the interest is in one person.
'He started as 4/1 joint favourite, but since then his odds have been slashed to 1/3. That would mean there is a 75 per cent chance of him being the wedding dress designer.'
Oldfield, 60, who designed wedding dresses for Samantha Cameron and Jemima Khan, is renowned for his couture gowns, which start at £8,000.
His ready-to-wear line gowns cost from £1,700 and his pieces have been worn by everyone from Sienna Miller to Rihanna.
His designs were also a favourite with William's mother, the late Princess of Wales.
Wedding plans: Kate Middleton and Prince William announcing their engagement earlier this month. But has she chosen her bridal gown yet?
The Paddy Power spokesman added: 'Sometimes this kind of betting comes from people taking an educated guess, but sometimes it is the result of a leak.
'We were taking bets of £500 or more so it could be a leak.
'The wedding is in April, so someone knows what dress she is wearing. I suppose we will just have to wait to see on the 29th.'
Most watched News videos
- F***ing joke? Paula Radcliffe's husband on Mo Farah's SPOTY win
- Thousands turn out to see criminals sentenced and executed
- Aerial views of RAF Mildenhall as security lockdown is ended
- Bystander films chaotic scene of the derailed Amtrak train
- Surveillance footage shows moment off-duty officer tracks gunman
- Shocking footage shows fire breaking out at Cameron House, Scotland
- Ashley Jensen seen with her husband at the 2008 Emmy Awards
- Diddy says he's interested in buying the Carolina Panthers
- Police statement after 'horrific' multi-vehicle crash in Birmingham
- 'Several people killed' after Amtrak train derails near Seattle
- Darius Campbell reveals charity water filter that can 'save lives'
- Restaurant boss stunned after customers send letter with bill