Ariana Grande is replaced by Liam Gallagher as she PULLS OUT of tribute to Manchester terror victims just hours before BRITs after doctors told her she was too ill to fly
- Singer was due to pay tribute to the 22 killed at her 2017 Manchester concert
- 24-year-old is reportedly too ill and despite wanting to attend was told not to fly
- US star has not been active on social media or pictured in public this year
- Mancunian Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher decided to step in at the 11th hour
- Salman Abedi's attack on Manchester Arena gig injured over 500, 59 seriously
The 24-year-old singer was due to pay tribute to the 22 people killed at her concert in Manchester last year but has now been replaced by Liam Gallagher with just hours to spare.
Despite wanting to perform anyway, doctors have insisted she is not up to it, the BRITs chief executive has confirmed.
She pulled out of a show in Vietnam three months after the Manchester Arena Bombing in May citing 'health problems'.
Ariana Grande has pulled out of her performance at tonight's BRIT Awards on doctors' orders she is 'too ill to fly'. She last posted on social media at the end of last year, sharing this picture
She has not posted on Twitter since December 31 2017, when she said 'see you next year'
The last time Miss Grande cancelled a show citing health problems was three months after 22 people were killed at her Manchester concert, in Vietnam in August last year
Pulled out: Miss Grande, 24, (pictured at her One Love Manchester tribute concert in June last year), has been keeping a low profile this year, with no social media posts
BRITs boss Geoff Taylor told BBC Radio 5 Live: 'We think it's really important to recognise that terrible atrocity and the impact on so many lives so I can confirm we did have Ariana Grande lined up to make a performance tonight.
'Unfortunately she was not able to travel on doctor's orders, she's not well, and I can say that there will be something tonight, I can't say any more than that but people should tune in and watch.
'And hopefully it will be a fitting remembrance and recognition of what happened, which was so terrible.'
Insiders also told the Mirror she was 'ordered by doctors not to fly', saying: 'It was utter chaos when the call came in that Ariana couldn't do it.
'It's a race against time to get someone to do what is very much the centrepiece of the entire show.'
Following the news, the newspaper revealed: 'Liam has saved the day by stepping in at the last minute. It's a perfect choice. It's going to be the moment of the evening.'
Miss Grande was believed to have been lined up for the top spot, with sources stating: 'It will be the biggest talking point of the night. The whole industry wants to come together to pay their respects to the victims.
'The effects of that terrible night resonated far and wide in the music industry and it's only right everyone comes together to pay their respects.'
He could be singing Live Forever, which he sang with Coldplay's Chris Martin at the Manchester One Love concert, according to reports.
Stepping in: Liam Gallagher has saved the day by replacing the US pop sensation at tonight's ceremony in London
The Mirror's Tom Bryant took to Twitter to reveal: 'BREAKING: Ariana Grande 'ordered by her doctor not to fly' after falling ill at the last minute before the BRITs.
'A source close to the star exclusively tells the Mirror: 'Ariana fell ill and was going to come in spite of that, but was ordered by her doctor to not fly.'
Representatives for BRITs and Miss Grande declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.
Liam Gallagher has not always been on good terms with BRIT bosses, launching a furious tirade after they rejected his initial request to perform at tonight's ceremony.
The Oasis frontman, 45, who famously swore, dropped his microphone and gave his award to the crowd during his acceptance speech at the Brits in 2010, labelled show bosses 'too scared' to have him among the line-up.
The 24-year-old posted this festive snap on her Instagram page on December 23
The One Last Time singer was last on social media in late December posting pictures of a festive 'AirBnB' trip
BRITs bosses have confirmed she will not perform at tonight's ceremony at London's O2 arena
Her last Instagram post came on the same day, saying 'see you next year'
In one of her last social media posts on Christmas Eve, she thanked 'friends family n friends who carried me thru this year'
But the tragedy of the incident that devastated his home city appears to have changed his attitude.
Meanwhile Miss Grande's social media silence has been talked about widely online.
Fans have begged her to return to Twitter and Instagram following a complete absence of posts in January and February.
One wrote: 'I can't wait no more, please Honey come back.'
Another said: 'We miss you Ari! How are we supposed to make it through 2018 without you.'
She has appeared alongside model Gigi Hadid in the latest Reebok campaign, but is still yet to be pictured out in public.
The last images she posted of herself (pictured with her brother Frankie in late December) were during the festive season, with nothing since
Rumours she was going to debut new music at this year's Grammy Awards in New York in January also failed to materialise.
In May 2017, after the star's performed at Manchester Arena, Salman Abedi detonated a homemade explosive device, murdering 22 people and injuring over 500, 59 of which were hospitalised.
Concert-goers, mainly children and young people, ran for their lives as the bomb detonated at the end of her performance, around 10.30pm.
Abedi, 22, used an explosive device packed with nuts and bolts to ensure maximum impact on his victims.
After anti-terror police and paramedics flooded the scene, they found the injured scattered across the foyer.
The detonation of the bomb managed to kill people standing up to 20 metres away, making it the deadliest UK terror attack since the July 7 bombings in London back in 2005.
In the wake of the devastation, Ariana Grande spoke of her heartbreak and cancelled the entire European leg of her The Dangerous Woman Tour.
Devastating: The terror attack happened on 22 May, 2017 at the Manchester Arena Ariana Grande concert, when a homemade bomb full of shrapnel was detonated as people left
Pictured: The 22 victims of Salman Abedi's bomb attack on Ariana Grande's concert at the Manchester Arena on May 22 2017
A map shows the impact of the deadly bomb attack inside the Manchester Arena
Floral tributes and heart balloons are pictured near the scene of the attack in Manchester
The singer, 23, wrote in an emotional tweet: 'broken. from the bottom of my heart, [I] am so so sorry. [I] don't have words.'
Her manager, Scooter Braun, said: 'Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack.
'We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act.
He went on to thank authorities in Manchester for their rapid response to the disastrous occurrence, added: 'We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers.'
The singer headlined the One Love Manchester tribute concert at Old Trafford two weeks after the attack on June 4 2017.
Performers including Justin Bieber, the Black Eyed Peas, Katie Perry, Pharrell Williams and Liam Gallagher joined her in paying an emotional tribute to the victims of the attack.
The concert is believed to have raised over £10million for the British Red Cross and Manchester Emergency Fund.
Mr Braun has since revealed the incident left the singer traumatised.
'Suffering from trauma', she reportedly found it difficult when meeting 19 concertgoers who were injured in the attack.
Mr Braun said during a Big Questions with Cal Fussman podcast that the American singer 'cried for days' after the attack.
'When she found out that fans of hers had died she was so sad. She cried for days, she he felt everything - every face they announced, every name, she wore on her sleeve. Every bit of emotion because that's who she is,' he said.
The suicide bomber, a Mancunian of Libyan descent - also died in the blast. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack shortly afterwards.
'With Allah's grace and support, a soldier of the Khilafah managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the Crusaders in the British city of Manchester,' their statement read.
Most watched News videos
- Holly Willoughby in tears talking to Simon Thomas about late wife
- Simon Thomas 'bears no grudge' towards GP for not referring late wife
- Scott Westgarth appears to struggle during post-fight interview
- Adorable moment cat tries to catch falling snow as storm hits UK
- CCTV shows little girl being abducted in India
- Britain's youngest mum talks about giving birth to second child
- Man forcefully kisses his son's new wife on stage
- Bollywood superstar Sridevi dances at wedding with her husband
- Ashya King plays football and rides bike in amazing transformation
- Perrie Edwards enjoys night out in sexy lingerie inspired jumpsuit
- Moment Georgina Henshaw arrested for murder of former friend
- Gordon Ramsay angers Rock neighbours with holiday home build