Over the next several decades, Rice University will comfortably secure its place as one of the world’s major research universities. Scholars from around the world will seek out Rice University for its world-class infrastructure and innovative collaborations, and in turn will themselves help to shape Rice’s culture for their own research needs. Additionally, through partnerships, commercialization, and active community engagement, Rice University will create well defined paths for translating new research insights into social benefits. Indeed, now more than ever, research universities centers must demonstrate that their discoveries and insights can foster game-changing opportunities for economic development. At the same time, universities must continue to protect the culture of scholarship and independence that gives rise to the truly new, disruptive, and high-impact ideas, while taking steps to ensure these ideas feed into innovation on their own campuses and elsewhere.
The Office of Research seeks to sensibly improve Rice’s research productivity and expand the impact of its discoveries on both scholars and communities alike. We do this by:
- Providing faculty and staff with excellent service in proposal development and award submissions.
- Informing and equipping our researchers to efficiently address a broad gamut of research compliance issues.
- Engaging in collaborative commercialization activities that put our intellectual property portfolio on a strong financial foundation while developing commercialization partners more intentionally.
- Constantly updating and investing in our research and scholarship infrastructure.
- Developing unconventional and non-traditional support for Rice’s research.
- Supporting campus-wide initiatives that nucleate activities across divisions even as they externally define Rice’s research enterprise.