'She's definitely barking up the wrong tree!' Single mother makes a VERY awkward blunder on First Dates Hotel - after mistaking a gay former vicar for her date
- Esther, 44, from Bromley was talking to Mark, 55, by the pool at the Italian hotel
- She thought she'd hit it off with the ex-vicar - unfortunately for her he was gay
- It was an awkward moment when Esther realised she wasn't his date
- But the pair managed to laugh off the cringeworthy moment on First Dates Hotel
A woman hoping to meet the man of her dreams on First Dates Hotel found herself in something of an awkward situation, when she made a pass at a gay vicar.
An excited Esther, 44, from Bromley, arrived at the Italian villa with high hopes of finding romance, and immediately made a beeline for Mark, 55, who she spotted sitting at a table by the pool and mistook for her blind date.
After introducing herself she asked Mark if he wanted to dip his toes in the pool, as they chatted about him living on a boat.
But it soon became clear to viewers - and Esther - that her flirting was all in vain, as Mark recalled how he realised he could 'no longer pretend to be straight' when he fell in love with a man.
Not only was Esther surprised to learn that she wasn't on an actual date and the man she was speaking with was also gay
Esther had made a beeline for Mark who was sitting by the pool and the pair happily chatted away as they dipped their toes in the pool
Esther managed to laugh off the awkward moment even though she admitted to Mark she was disappointed because she liked him
Viewers found the whole exchange extremely amusing and took to Twitter to share in Esther's embarrassing moment
'Hang on, so I thought this was our date?' the puzzled mother-of-one asked.
Mark chuckled: 'No, no, I think something has gone wrong with the system if it is!'
'I am quite disappointed, I really like you,' she added.
The pair collapsed into giggles as Mark responded: 'Aww I'm really sorry about that, you're not what I'm after.'
Seasoned viewers of First Dates will know that maitre 'd Fred Sirieix introduces the love matches before they go to dinner, and many watching at home were stunned by Esther's awkward gaffe.
'HAHAHAHA!!! She thought this was her date. I had a feeling she did. Poor girl! HILARIOUS!,' said one.
'Ester just smashed it she was definitely barking up the wrong tree. I mean has she watched the program? Fred introduces you to ya date girl, you don’t just rock up and choose your own,' laughed another.
'When you accidentally go on a date with a gay man,' joked one.
Esther had explained she was looking for a man who was kind and had a beard - and she thought her dreams had come true with Mark
The pair lounged by the pool and hit it off as they talked about Mark living on a boat which Esther was thrilled with
Viewers sympathised with Esther's mistake but still had a good chuckle that she didn't realise Mark was gay
Esther had said she was looking for a man who was kind, adding that 'a beard would be good' - explaining why she'd been drawn to the hirsute former vicar.
Esther was eventually paired up with her actual date; single father Lawrence, an electrician from Southampton.
The pair hit it off as they bonded over raising their children, but despite things going well they agreed there was no spark and chose not to go on a second date.
First Dates Hotel returns next Monday on Channel 4 at 10pm
Most watched News videos
- Brother of white South African farmer reveals how he was murdered
- Owen Smith sacked by Corbyn over call for Brexit referendum
- Policeman found guilty of killing his constable wife
- CCTV shows officer's movements after killing his constable wife
- Police forces outside French supermarket in hostage situation
- Trump and family land in Florida for a relaxing weekend
- Shocking moment man throws boiling soup in woman's face
- Prince Harry and his fiancée Meghan Markle visit Northern Ireland
- 'You don't want to give it to me?' Harry jokes with five-year-old boy
- Vehicle crashes Travis Air Force Base gate in California
- Guy knocks down girl standing on the beach after failed backflip
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle meet teens across Northern Ireland