Soulboy Sam Smith needs to send his spirit soaring: ADRIAN THRILLS reviews the opening night of the singer's tour
Sam Smith is a stickler for planning. 'We've worked on this show for a year and been in rehearsals for two months,' he said as he opened his first arena tour on Tuesday.
The singer, 25, has made a career out of his fantastic voice — and his less-than-fantastic love life.
Backed by a band in which pianist Reuben James was exceptional, I'm Not The Only One and Lay Me Down struck a woebegone note.
Sam Smith is a stickler for planning. 'We've worked on this show for a year and been in rehearsals for two months,' he said as he opened his first arena tour in Sheffield (pictured) on Tuesday
With screens, a pyramid and gold staircase, there was no lack of visual tricks. But Smith is not a natural showman and this was an oddly understated start.
Writing's On The Wall injected melodrama, but only with the disco swirl of Restart did the evening fully take wing, the careful planner finally revelling in a looseness that carried him into a singalong Too Good At Goodbyes and Stay With Me that saw the front rows showered with rose petals.
With screens, a pyramid and gold staircase, there was no lack of visual tricks. But Smith (pictured performing in Sheffield) is not a natural showman and this was an oddly understated start, WRITES ADRIAN THRILLS
Most watched News videos
- Zoe Ball raises over £1 million for Sport Relief
- 'It's been surreal': Sergeant Nick Bailey discharged from hospital
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle meet teens across Northern Ireland
- Policeman found guilty of killing his constable wife
- Prince Harry and his fiancée Meghan Markle visit Northern Ireland
- CCTV shows officer's movements after killing his constable wife
- Amazing moment four-year-old calls 999 and saves mum's life
- CCTV footage shows four men leaving house after burglary
- Harry and Meghan offered singer for wedding during Northern Ireland trip
- CCTV catches four men breaking into a house in Chislehurst
- Is this the moment Jake Quickenden drops the F Bomb on TV?
- Ant McPartlin arrives home 'under investigation' by the Police
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.